Sunday, June 04, 2006

Weekend Herb blogging Sougri/Bimlipatam!


This is my entry to Kalyn's WHB or weekend herb blogging . I will be writing about a certain herb, well it would qualify for a shrub. We call it sougri, and i didn't know the english name till todaywhich is Bimlipatam Jute. It is suppose to have many medicinal qualities and helps in digestion, used in external inflamation, and may be used as an Apetiser.

I have never used it for medicinal purpose. But I know one non-culinary use of this plant. We eat the leaves, but it also has a stout stem, about the finger thick, and the stem is covered by thick fibrous skin, which when dried can be used to make ropes. Well, the name Bimlipatan Jute. I guess it is a kind of Jute. Rope or No rope, the Sougri is considered to be a delicacy by the Natives. Well, it is a delicacy.

To be cooked, or rather boiled with fermented fish and dried Shrimps. Childhood memory the tangy flavor reminds me of those wintry mornings when we eat our lunch in the sunshine. Rice and Sougri Thongba ( that is the sougri stew made with a pinch of fermented Fish called Ngari, Lots of smoked Fish, and Smoked Dried shrimps). This can also be cooked with fried fish. The tangy sour taste will make you long for more. I don't know how it would taste with fish though? There is a red colored variety of the same, called Shillong Sougri which taste better when cooked with normal fried fish.

Fried fish and Sougri recipe:

Heat 1 tsp Oil in a kadhai.
Add two bayleaves, 1 tsp jeera, 1/2 tsp methi, a pinch of asafoetida and green chillis.
Add a pinch of turmeric and immediately 2 cups of water.
Let shimmer.
Add the fried fish steak, 6 peices?
Add washed leaf of the Sougri.
Cook for just 5 minutes after adding the sougri.
Serve!!

11 Comments:

Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

I love learning about this! I didn't know that the plant that produces jute, used to make rope, had any edible parts. Very interesting. You do find the best things to write about!

6/04/2006 06:00:00 PM  
Blogger Anna (Morsels and Musings) said...

Wow, this herb sounds really interesting and I love anything tangy. It's great to find a website with Indian recipe ideas. I will be coming to visit you a lot!

6/05/2006 08:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree!! This was a great post, because I learned something totally new. Thank you, Anthony.

6/06/2006 04:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so amazing, Anthony! Is this sourgi available all over India? Or is it native to and popular in the Manipur area?

6/06/2006 09:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh! That previous comment was not an anonymous coward comment - it was me. Blogger was giving me a hard time just posting a comment. Wierd.

6/06/2006 11:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Kalyn: I have more. Wait for the next weekend herb bloffing post lol.

@ Anna: In fact this is a delicy, and goes well with many other side dishes, like we make a Spicy Salad with Parkia( last weekend herb blogging), and the combination is deadly.

@ Sher: My pleasure completely.. :-)

@ Manisha: It is alright. I have no hate for Anons. lol. But this is available, i only don't know the other local names. And I have to actually crush the leaf between my fingers to identify the smell. I mean, for someone who had'nt taste it earlier, it would be pretty difficult to identify. I find it hard to identify by looks only since most leafy vegetables looks similar to me. I have good sense of smell though

6/06/2006 02:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do the bhajiwallas in Bombay call it, Anthony?

6/07/2006 02:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will ask next time i see sougri... in the marketplace

6/07/2006 10:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey thanks! And don't forget, ok?

Also, stay safe in the current downpour of rain in Bombay!

6/08/2006 04:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love sougri , but i dont think we get sougri in US.Oh i miss sougri thongba

6/08/2006 07:40:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

its called khatta saag
but the variety is not the one favoured at home. its the "nang nang loba variety"

7/05/2010 01:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home