Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Quickie Jeera Aloo


Somebody mentioned Jeera, and the flavors of Jeera or the cumin, the Maharajah of Indian Spices, and when you say Jeera, Jeera aloo comes off the the top of the mind.

I am surprised nobody has branded these exotic desi dishes.
Indians( well, marwari and Gujjus to be precise) might be good in trading, but Branding and marketing is something we lag far behind the pioneers of Pizza Huts and the likes.

Aw!! forget my dose of gyaan.. Lets cook the Jeera Aloo.

I have made a very very simple version of Jeera Aloo, and since I get back home a lil late .. I have also improvised some very quick cooking techniques.

Oh! However late I might get, I always manage to cook up something.
There is something about home made food and well if you are the cook yourself who will also be taking pictures to see if they are worth posting on the Blog.... I can't pass it for a lousy restaurant cooked meal.

So this is one of my quickie meals.

Look at how I have cut the potatoes.
Very small.

2 large potatoes: I first cut the potato in half, and then keeping the cut or flat face down, I make 2-3 mm thick slices and then again make similar cuts horizontally to get the small slivers or whatever you may call it.

I then heat oil, and add a TSP of jeera and two red chillis broken in halves into it, and then immediately add the potatoes and spread them in pan so that they get cooked evenly.
The potatoes stick to each other. Use skillet/spoon to separate.

I turn them and then cook till aloo changes color slightly,
and then I add Finely chopped Onions.

I saute till potaoes are cooked, ie till it can be crushed with spoon.

Eat with whatever else you have cooked.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kay said...

This is my favourite dish too! Cooks very fast.

Btw, Anthony, Is it ok if I ask how much oil you use? All your recipes are very shiny, man! Watch out when you add that extra oil. (Just a friendly suggestion).

3/02/2006 09:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHA...
I am not too generous with the oil. It is maybe how I took the picture and I always put the tubelight on.... Otherwise i put little oil

3/02/2006 11:23:00 PM  
Blogger Kay said...

Ohhh! Must be the flash and tubelight then! That's good to know. :)

3/03/2006 09:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was really craving for these since I hadn't eaten them after going abroad. I had a really delicious lunch with them today. Thanks a lot for sharing the recipe.

12/04/2006 03:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When do we add salt to this? Is it not required?

1/18/2011 02:03:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's a very easy cooking recipe, thanks for the share.

3/28/2013 10:25:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...


Wow looks really delicious. I would like to try this soon :-
order online food delhi

5/15/2015 05:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home