Sunday, March 26, 2006

Khichdi gheewala..


This is another amazing Khichdi I eat often.
Easy to prepare and very very tasty.

It was a girl who taught me how. Long time ago. ummmm...
A brahmin girl, and you see in my place, Brahmins are suppose to be good cooks.
Well, they are professional cooks, you know like the Maharaj,
And I like the way They cook Khichdi during the Rath Yatra.

So I asked this girl, and yes she was pretty, if she knew how to cook Khichdi.
I was only trying to pull her leg.

She wasn't the kind who looked like she could cook.
She was a Cool Kinda girl, and so I was surprised when she told me how it is prepared.

She taught me a lot of things...

OK, this is one hell of an easy recipe.

Try it sometime.

Pressure cook 1 cup toor daal with 1 cup rice in 2 cups of water
( Water should be to your comfort level., whether you want it dry or slightly gravyish ).
Also add green peas, a pinch of turmeric and salt.

After about 4 whistles, let it cool.

In a separate pan, heat a dollop of desi ghee ( you will have to use oil if Ghee ain't available)
Fry some peanuts in low heat till peanuts get cooked and crispy.
Remove peanuts and keep separate.
Add 1 tsp jeera into remaining ghee and let splutter.
Add onions ( 1 onion cut into slivers) and fry till brown.
Add ginger paste and fry for sometime.

(The green slivers you see is a Herb, Chinese Chives which you add along with the onion if you can get it from some supermarket. This adds a very nice flavor).

Now add the whole thing from the pan into the Khichdi and mix well, also add the peanuts.

Serve...

9 Comments:

Blogger Annita said...

You are really a master in Khichidi's huh?My kid loves it..

3/27/2006 10:03:00 AM  
Blogger Sury said...

Heavenly. That's what your khichdi looks like. I am a sucker for these thick types of khichdi (as opposed to the watery kinds). A plate of this and some fritters; simply bliss.

3/27/2006 12:05:00 PM  
Blogger Shalini said...

hey just posted something very similar to this.. sans the peas...but i call it dhall rice... try that too,,,,

3/27/2006 02:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better - you really know how to cook huh? I am going to keep checking for new recipes....

3/28/2006 04:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Annita: Oh I do cook a lot of Khichdi variants.. You know it is very convinient to cook and nutritious... You ask for more, you will get more lol

@ Sury: Oh Yes, with fritters, or fried fish, but when I am in a hurry, I eat it with garlic pickle.

@ Shalini: Oh yeah! That is another simple meal... We actually call it khichdi only. I mean Khichdi is usually cooked with obnly daal and rice.

@ Lucy: I am feeling great today... ANd yeah, do come bacjk for more.. You can browse my menu as well...

3/28/2006 04:19:00 PM  
Blogger Shalini said...

i too love this the garlic pickle... but to ME khichdi shdhav some veggies... my own ways of calling it...

3/28/2006 06:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Kalyan Banerjee said...

This looks like a simple recipe - which even a lazy a** like me can try. Cooking and me are like oil and water - don't fit together. But there are times when I have to - I'll savor this recipe for times like that.

I posted something on the lines of 'how not to cook khichdi'. Have linked to this post of yours. Cheers!

4/01/2009 01:20:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hey man..if khichidi is serve wit lotus leaf it ll taste awesume..

4/11/2009 02:09:00 PM  
Blogger Shruti Acharya said...

well i made this and my husbaand, mom and brother went crazy about it. So Kudos! Thanks for sharing :)

7/23/2009 06:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home