Wednesday, March 08, 2006

How to Deep Fry Fish?


Deep fried Fish Steaks.
Maybe had as snacks, but not to forget to mouthwash after the same.
Maybe had as a side dish with any Rice and curry dish.
Something I could eat everyday, and eat too when I am home..well my parents home.
Been away to long to comfortably call it my home though I still have a huge bedroom..

Oh! Do I miss home???

Preparation of this couldn't be any simpler, but it can get real messy too.
The fish might break or it might stick to the pan or to another fish steak....

The old Non-stick teflon pan works best. ( Old means not the new ones on which you an used metal skillets and scotch brite, but old primitive ones which came with the wooden spatula. Fish won't stick to that)

Mix the 3/4 inch thick Fish steaks in a little Turmeric, and asafoetida or heeng and salt to taste.
(Well for 5 steaks, use half Tsp Turmeric and a pinch of turmeric.)

I didn't use any other masala,because it gets burned and leaves a bitter taste when the fish is deep fried. better sprinkle some garam masala and red chilli powder after the fish is fried and taken out.

Deep fry the fish in mustard oil on a flat bottom pan.
To deep fry, heat oil till... very hot. You some smoke start to come up hot.
Immediately decrease the heat and put the steak slowly, one by one into the oil.
Use a pair of tongs.
Don't let to steaks touch the other. Separate them by at least a few mm .

Fry in low heat till one side is cooked.
Turn the steaks when one side is cooked.
Second side should take shorter to cook.


But Tony!!! How do I know when the fish is cooked?

Tony: Fry till golden brown, but not dark brown..... lol

Remove on tissue paper so that excess oil is absorbed.
Sprinkle red chilli powder and some garam masala. ( I used chicken masala)

Thanks for visiting. Have a nice day.

Tagged with :: + +

Important : Please don't forget to read my post on street harassment and eve teasing and harmless flirting as an entry for the blogathon at Blank noise project.

10 Comments:

Blogger Kitchenmate said...

Tony: Fish looks yummy! and make me drool:)We normally shallow fry, rarely deep fry, so called "calorie consious"..*sigh*

3/08/2006 04:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but if you re going to absorb excess oil in tissue paper, its fine.... all calories will be absorbed lol...

3/08/2006 07:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Tony! Now I miss my Mommy! :o(

3/08/2006 07:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats so sweet meena... I say it was a job well done if it reminds u of your ma lol

3/09/2006 10:35:00 PM  
Blogger Kay said...

Tony! You sure are an eligible bachelor. Should I let my friends know? ;)

Those fish steaks look yummy!

Btw, why do you add 1/2 tsp turmeric plus a pinch more for 5 steaks? Me curious...

3/11/2006 02:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooops Kay... a pinch of heeng i meant to say.. will change it.. and about the 1/2 tsp, i hate measurements anyways,and I know how much to put just by looking...and yeah i think my turmeric brand is not so strong... and since turmeric and chilli powder have diff strengths i don't know how to tell the measure to people.. i know for myself though

3/11/2006 04:00:00 AM  
Blogger Kay said...

Ok! Makes sense now!
I roasted fish yesterday (ofcourse, no deep frying, I roasted them in the oven) and added hing while marinating the fish. Turned out good. Southern recipes dont have hing in them.. I've heard a north Indian dish called 'Hing chicken' where the chicken is marinated in hing and allowed to sweat out.
Tony, Any idea why hing? taste or health reasons?

3/11/2006 07:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kay: Heeng or hing give a very god flavor or aroma to any kind of non-veg. in fish we use because it neutralises the smell of the fish which is tasty but not at al pleasant.

3/11/2006 07:44:00 PM  
Blogger Kay said...

No wonder, I didnt stink up the kitchen roasting fish this time... It turned out really tasty as well as the kitchen smelling good!

Thanks for the idea, Tony!

3/13/2006 07:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

U r welcome Kay....

And I love raosted fish...

our cuisine revolves around smoked fish you know
lots and lots of them.
Try Smoked Rohu..

No masala.. just roast it..

keep it and roast again for a few minutes every day for a few days.

then cook it the way you would cook any normal fish curry... it taste amazing

3/13/2006 10:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home