Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Mutton Vindaloo




Ha!!! Don't you get carried away by the Picture. Of the Aloo, that is.
Mutton Vindaloo has nothing to do with Aloo.
In fact Vindaloo is believed to be derived from the portuguese word, "Vinha d'Alho" since it was a dish cooked with lots of Wine Vinegar and Garlic. Of course, the Goans refined it down to the potato.. Ok I made that up.

But I love it with Aloo anyway. The vindaloo masala soaked aloo melting in the mouth is a delight. I could trade all the mutton in the world for the same.

The Manipuri's, or rather the Meeteis are no meat lovers, though the same cannot be said of the new generation Meeteis. And so, meat was never cooked in our homes, chicken included. And thus, eating meat or non-veg was always a big
affair. Eating out as a culture is not common, though eating OUT literally was very common. OUT as in OUTDOORS, Picnics, or feasts in a friends' roof (Like in Vaastav) or any open place... never in the kitchen. So the youths had get-togethers often in more liberal homes where cooking in the premise was allowed. The youths would contribute say 50 bucks each for the same. There is an anecdote of the miser who wanted to contribute potatoes and take his share of the cooked potatoes. Such is our love of the potato. There even is a song that compares a Women's Heart with the shapes of Clouds and potatoes' varied dishes. Nupigee Pukchel,Aloogee mathel

Ingredients:

1 kg Lamb/muttons,(ask butcher to give marrow filled bones for good gravy)
2 Tbs cider vinegar
3 tbs tamarind pulp
2 large onions
15-20 garlic cloves
1 inch finger of ginger
2 Tbs grated Coconut.
2 potatoes, cut in 1 inch cubes.
1 tsp each of jeera, Dhania, red Chilli powder, and black pepper.
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 paprika cut into 4s
Two rred chillis
Chinnamom, cloves and bayleaves.

Grind one onion with half the garlic, with a little water.
Add the vinegar, tamarind pulp, Jeera, Dhania, Red Chilli, Black Powder and make a fine paste.
Mix 3/4 of the paste with the Meat and marinate for 2-3 hours.
I buy the meat in the morning around 8:30 9:00 on weekends and marinate till Lunch cooking time. No 9-10 hrs marinate for me. I am not comfortable with keeping uncooked meat for long and I usually eat fresh Meat. Don't worry, it is just me. You may marinate even overnight Zeeej...

Chop the remaining Onion. Crush the ginger and garlic in a Mortar pestle.
In a Flat Bottom pan, heat 3 TBS peanut/groundnut oil (any Vegetable oil that suits you).
Add the bayleaves (2), a few cloves of clove, one piece of chinamom, two red chillis.
Add the onion and saute for 2 minutes.
Add ginger garlic, and saute till golden brown.
Add the remaining masala paste, and add litle water, and fry till oil separates from mixture.
Add the meat, salt to taste and stir well.

Stir and cook till oil and meat separates.
Add the potatoes, paprika and stir well.
Add the grated coconut, and add 2 cups of Hot water.
Let Shimmer in low heat till Potatoes are cooked.
Meat should also be tender by then, else cook till meat is tender.

Eat your Vindaloo with Rice..

14 Comments:

Blogger Revathi said...

I am seriously controlling myself and refraining from Mutton becoz its high fat.. but your dishhh is very tempting..
The pic is great and I sooo badly want to eat mutton now.. Ok I wont I got self control :)

5/11/2006 05:17:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have been looking for a vindaloo recipe for a long time. Thanx Tony.

5/11/2006 07:15:00 PM  
Blogger Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

Hey Anthony... The pic looks super delicious... The vindaloo that I make is different & is definitely a long process... This sounds like a super fast process. Great for times when you dont want to spend a long time in the kitchen. Thanks for the recipe..

5/11/2006 07:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Revathi: HAHA.. so my job was almost done... tempting you people.

Pushpa: It is a quick Vindaloo, and it was amazing

@ Tina: Not seen you for so long pal.. Yeah, I know.... I made it in congruence with the theme of the Blog.lol.. easy recipes.. Couldn't make it easier.. Hey but the taste was amazing.

I also make it in some other different ways

5/11/2006 09:11:00 PM  
Blogger Lakshmi said...

nice dish.

5/11/2006 10:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats very tempting. But since I dont eat mutton, I am searching for some other alternative. May be Chicken Vindaloo or something??

BTW, I have changed my blog layout to 3 columned one again. Please have a look and give me your suggestion :)

5/12/2006 03:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lakshmi: thanks a lot dear..

Shilpa: Have checked it out.. i will give my inputs soon...
By the way can cook chicken this same way... reduce the masala though, and oil....

5/12/2006 11:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hai Tony..i love indian food as i love my home country food(Indonesian food)..however, i never cooked any Indoan food yet..I was wondering, do you have chicken kashmiri recipe?..i always order this when i go to the indian restaurant & it's very delicious..the sauce of the chicken is completed with fruits like lechees&apricots..i would like to make it as my first trial of indian food..hope you have the recipe..thx

5/12/2006 06:03:00 PM  
Blogger Kitchenmate said...

TOny: Yummy recipe and looks very simple too. I thought making vindaloo, a tedious process..but your changed my opinion. Good one buddy!
Here is my entry for this weekend curry mela,
http://kitchenmate.blogspot.com/2006/05/soya-granules-curry.html#links

5/12/2006 06:27:00 PM  
Blogger Tanuja said...

Hi Tony another yummy recipe from ur great kichen. Mutton vindaloo recipe is easy and looks yummy thanks for sharing .

Here is my entry for this week's curry mela.

http://kodaliskitchen.blogspot.com/2006/05/chicken-mangeriamango-chicken.html

5/12/2006 06:37:00 PM  
Blogger Sumitha said...

The picture looks fantastic,it is very similar to the way I make it too,

5/13/2006 12:38:00 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

Senaz: I will certainly do that... At least give it a try huh!!!!

KM: I know.. I wanted to quicken it... and if you cook it slowly, in low heat, you get about the same taste.

tanuja: This was my version.... Glad you liked it...

Shibu: Thats great to know pal

5/13/2006 12:59:00 AM  
Blogger indianadoc said...

Mouth watering...my veg resolution gone to thin air!!

5/29/2006 01:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah..nah.. No coconut in vindaloo please. That's a plain mutton curry. Ask any worthy Goan and they will tell you.. there is garlic and vinegar and red chillies and garam masala whole spices and a bit of sugar to tone down the chillies and give the vinegar some mellow'ness (word?) Do not corrupt a dish calling it your own (its nice to be creative and all). Enhancing it with an extra pinch of this and that is allowed.. but total flavour change is definitely not allowed. So please stop and think .. if it is a general mutton coconut curry you are looking for or a true blood vindaloo. Thank you
A Goan from Goa

2/15/2011 11:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home