Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Mutton Korma

Announcement:

From next weekend on, the weekend food event at Anthony's Kitchen will be hereby known as Curry Mela. Anthony's weekend favorites.
The name Culinlinkus sounds like a very bad joke, it seems.
But I really loved the term.*Smiles*.

Anyway do come for the Curry Mela, Anthony's weekend favorites.
For now savour the Mutton Korma below.

This was the first time I have ever cooked a korma, and this taste godawesome. I know I like the taste of my own food, but it sure was one of the tastiest dish I ever had. Trust me.

Not to mention that I will be doing a series of trials on various kormas, now that I realise I have a penchant for it. I was inspired by VKN, but i have cooked it in my unique bachelor Cooking style. I also google some and read up a few recipes before I decided what would taste best.

I want each of my dish to be unique and original, and easy so that a bachelor might cook it easy. As the theme of the blog goes, this is for bachelor's and other novice cooks. Bachelor doesn't mean I am a bachelor cook, though I am. It means This was are recipes that I have learnt in my years of living away from home, in hostels where I used to cook little side dishes on a hot plate, and various Bachelor Pads. And I always ask. Like I had an awesome palak paneer (Spinach and cottage Cheese) the other day at office, my technical consultant- BI, had bought it( I am the functional guy) and she told me the recipe. I cooked it the same night, though it was 9 when I returneed home. It was awesome, and taste as good. Its already in the draft form lol.

Ah! the Korma....

Keep this ingredients ready.

Curry patta, green chili, Red chili( kashmiri), Red chilli powder, Jeera powder, dhania powder, Turmeric/haldi, Coconut milk, tomatoes, meethi( fenugreek, and not the kasuri methi or the leaves), mayleaves, some mustard seed. Onions, ginger and garlic.

Mutton 300 grams( this is what I cooked, and it served only 1 *smiles*) marinated in Salt, half tsp each of jeera and dhania powder.
You may cook 1 kilo. Only increase the masala accordingly OK.

Preparation:

In a kadhai or thick bottom pan, heat oil ( I used about 2 TBS) and when it is hot, put half tsp mustard seeds, two red chili, one bay leaf, a sprig of curry patta(optional if not available) and half tsp of meethi( pre-soaked for a few minutes).

Add half the amount of onions( one large onion finely chopped. Add only half now so that it doesn't soak up all oil). When onions are brown, add the remaining onions and meat. saute well and cook in low heat by covering the pan. Cook like that for 15 minutes, stirring from time to time so that it is not burnt.

Open the lid and saute well adding a little water from time to time so that meat don't stick to bottom of pan. Now add 1 tsp each of ginger and garlic paste. Also add 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1/3 tsp turmeric and half tsp each of jeera and dhania powder. Add two tomatoes and saute for 5 minutes. Now add, half a cup of coconut milk. I used packet coconut milk. and cook till thick. Now add 2 cups of water, little more salt to taste( I used salt to marinate, kep that in mind).

You may add 1 tsp of meat masala, which i didn't use( it is optional, I suggest you don't use). Dhania and jeera with the bay leaves and meethi quite sufficed.

Cover and cook in low heat for 15 more minutes. garnish with coriander.

The korma in the pic looks quite dry. I opened the lid and kept over the gas when i was doing something else and it became dry, it tasted better though.lol. But it wasn't that dry when i put out the fire and came out of the kitchen to finish some work I was doing.

So, do excuse my pictures, I forgot to take the pictures just after finishing, and it looks all dried up since i kept it open for a long time before I took the pictures and ate. And the presentation, but of course, this is bachelor cooking.
Read my birthday Post here

8 Comments:

Blogger Dewaker Basnet said...

man this is terrific blogging:) wow
love the concept...thanks for the great taste

2/07/2006 05:28:00 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ Dewaker: Thanks for dropping by. It was a pleasure writing and cooking the same. eating was another pleasure lol.

2/07/2006 05:35:00 PM  
Blogger Swamy VKN said...

Excellent results Antony. Keep up the great show! So glad to note that you like My Dhaba's traditional recipes.

2/07/2006 06:33:00 PM  
Blogger Journal Actif said...

Souds delicious! Just right for our cold weather here.

2/07/2006 09:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

VKN: As always sir, you have an excellent collection..i say


@ Zoubida: Do add some black pepper crushed. Good for the cold season

2/07/2006 09:48:00 PM  
Blogger Priya said...

the final pic doesnt look like u r trying it for the first time ;) u seem to be a pro.. the korma looks awesome.

2/07/2006 09:56:00 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

You are cooking up a spree Anthony!

2/07/2006 11:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Priya: Thank you priya, but i was pretty unhappy about the Picture. It was tasty though.

@ Ashwini: LOL. I am taking this thing very seriously, lol

2/08/2006 03:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home