Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Fried Karela


Karela have always been my favorite...... My brother never liked it, so my mom started adding potatoes into this particular dish. Mom used to keep the potatoes for my brother who somehow liked the potatoes fried with karela. The potato somehow absorbs some of the bitterness from the karela and turns into a very tasty bitter sweet variant. I also started loving it, and whenever I fried karela, I never forget potatoes, how how I love potatoes anyway. I add potatoes to almost every dish, sometimes even to daal.
But this potato and Karela combo is a deadly concoction. Foodies may be in serious danger of addiction. It’s a very simple dish as well.

Cut the 3-4 karela in circular slices, thinner the better.
Cut a large potatoes into semi- circular slices. If the potato is large, cut the slice into another half to give a semi-semi circular( or quarter of a circle).
Cut a large Onion anyway you want to.

Heat oil in a pan. Use oil generously say 4-5 Table spoons, if you are not into oily stuff, you may remove the dish onto a Tissue paper to remove exces oil.

Add a Tsp of whole jeera.
Let is crackle, and then add the onions and 2 green chillis sliced in halves.
Add the potatoes and karela, and keep frying.
Don’t let it burn and don’t cover.
Keep stirring.
When they are almost done, sprinkle some red chill and salt to taste.
When they are done ( you will know by the looks) , what do you do?
Serve..
Bon apetit and thanx Indira for reminding me of this favorite dish.

And Thanks to my blog, I am eating good home food again, otherwsie it was the neighbourhood Subways or Pop Tate's for a long time since they were just 10 minutes walk from my home.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never heard of karela before. Very interesting. And I like how your mom mixed it with the potatoes so your brother could eat them. Mom's are so smart. ;-)

The finished version looks delicious!

Paz

1/13/2006 12:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried this one out because it looks so good and karela and potato sounds like such a good combination, mine turned out tasty but didn't look as good as your photo, because I cooked it more and the karela got all mushed up, maybe I should have added the karela after the potatoes ....simple and nice recipe though ..

1/13/2006 11:00:00 AM  
Blogger Tweety said...

Sounds and looks so good. Karela and alu are my favourites too...but separately. Never heard of this combo. Shall definitely try out.
By the way ... why didnt you put mustard in the tadka?

1/14/2006 11:57:00 PM  
Blogger Cyndi said...

I'm learning so much about Indian cooking and terms--from the first picture of the uncooked karela, I thought it looked like jalapeño peppers--and I wondered, who would eat so many peppers at once? It would burn my mouth out! But since I looked up karela and realized it's a squash, your recipe made sense! Sounds like something I'll try here, but I think I'll use zucchini--no karela here, plus zucchini isn't bitter. I'll let you know when I try it.

1/15/2006 09:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tony, This is awesome. Tried & loved it. Added in my fav. collection :)

http://mingudam.wordpress.com/2006/07/22/karotkhabi-kanghou-anthonys-karela-fry/

Thanks !!!

11/18/2006 04:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tony, I'm gonna try this karela dish out...u didnt tell me u do karela with aloos...easier on the tongue na..looks like the way mom makes it. and ya, its grt that u show a pic of the veggies before and after the dish is prepared.
Priya

2/13/2007 11:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I was looking out for karela recipe n came across this. Looks really good. Will try this tomorrow :)

3/10/2009 04:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried this recipe...my husband loved it! Thanks! I did a little addition...added few fennel seeds with the jeera and a little amchur in the end.

3/12/2009 05:09:00 PM  
Blogger K said...

hey, i've always loved karela, but only had it one way - the way my mom made them - deep fried!!!!

so your recipe turned out to be a real gem as i was searching for something different.

tried it out last night, and it was great. got the taste perfect, just went a little overboard on the oil, unfortunately, as i cooked half the portion you mention, with the same quantity of oil :p. but that was set straight as i blotted the extra oil out.

cheers...

5/03/2009 09:16:00 PM  
Blogger turmericnspice said...

Never tried aloo with karela...but it sure looks good.

3/30/2010 08:10:00 AM  
Anonymous joydeep said...

Although I do not like Karela much..but your recipe would force me to have Karelas.

8/25/2010 02:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Jayashree said...

M making it ryt nw.Hope it turns out to be good

4/12/2012 09:48:00 AM  
Anonymous Jayashree said...

My mom has left for attending a wedding,and I have been incharged to take care of my brother's food during his exams.Today morning,when I opened the refrigerator I got a mini heart attack as I saw basket full of Karelas.I did not know what to do with it,anyhow I thought of searching simple and best recipes for cooking karela,and my search ended here.Its just so simple and exotic.I never thought karela could ever be so relishable.Just cooked it today.Loved it.True,the potatoes actually absorbed the bitterness of Karela.The taste was awesome.Wonderful recipe!

4/12/2012 08:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home