Sunday, May 07, 2006

Aloo Gobi Curry

Aloo Gobi Curry, or Thin Gravy Potato and Cauliflower.


My first entry for Sweetnick's weekly event ARF/5-A-Day Tuesday , and this week around she has added a twist to the ARF/5-A-Day #18, the recipe should have been prepared using a fellow blogger's recipe.

And so I dug up the Blog rolls and found this amazing Vegetarian Dish at VKN's MyDhaba. VKN is on a Blogging break now, due to the sudden demise of his Mom, may her soul rest in Peace, and May VKN come out of the phase a stronger Man. My heartfelt Condolences to VKN and family.

For the event, I have chosen his Aloo gobi Curry or Cauliflower Potato in curried sauce..
I have made slight changes to it. To suit my taste. I hope VKN won't mind.
I made do without the Coconut, Cloves, KhusKhus, Cinnamom and tamarind extract.
( I didn't have the above ingredients) And I wanted to make it simpler, for beginners and bachelor cooks lol.


The Ingredients :
Cauliflower – 1, cut into florettes
Potatoes – 2, large size, peeled and cut into cubes
Onions – 1, large size,
Finely chopped Garlic – 3 beads,
Finely slicedTomato – 1 large, Chopped
Jeera and Mustard seed - Half tsp each.
Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
Black pepper powder – ½ teaspoon
Cummin seeds powder – ½ teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds powder – ½ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Garam masala - 1/2 teaspoon
Salt – to taste
Oil or ghee – 2 tablespoons
Coriander leaves – a bunch, finely chopped


Method:

Heat a flat-bottomed vessel or kadhai and pour in the oil into it.
When the oil becomes smoking hot, add half a Tsp Jeera and Mustard seed and let sputter, now add the onions and garlic in it and saute till the onion is golden brown. Now add the cauliflower and potatoes. Stir to mix the ingredients well and then cover with a lid, and cook over moderate heat for 3 minutes. Now, increase the heat and add all the spice powders and salt at this time and saute for a minute. Add 2-3 cupfuls of water to just cover the vegetables, close with a lid, and cook over moderate heat till the vegetables are cooked and tender. Add the tomatoes, simmer for another 10 minutes, and remove from heat.
Stir in the coriander leaves. Serve hot.
[ I added the coriander after taking picture coz, it doesn't give good effect]

In the original recipe, VKN did a tadka with Cloves, Cinanmom and Onions and added to the dish. it would make the dish more wholesome. Since I ran out of cloves and Cinamom, I didn't tadka, and when I tasted it was already very yummy, so I just served it, as is...
It was great..

Thanking VKN and Sweetnicks..

4 Comments:

Blogger Lakshmi said...

looks great tony

5/08/2006 05:28:00 PM  
Blogger RP said...

Looks yummy. I usually make it with a thick gravy. Got to try the thin version also.

5/08/2006 09:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks yumm!! This is exactly how I make it too!! I also add a bit of jaggery to please my sweet teeth.. all 32 of them :) :)

cheers!

5/09/2006 06:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thnks Lakshmi :-)

RP: I tried this for a change, and since I usually eat rice

SF Hut: I will try that jaggery bit... Oh I love sweets lol

5/09/2006 06:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home