Thursday, March 23, 2006

Green Moong Khichdi


Blogger gave me good amount of trouble today.
The word verification in the comment too was troubling some people I heard, and I disabled it immediately. Of course, It was not the reason for not getting too many comments eh!

And the trouble came from another quarter, I just could upload the picture, and I had to maybe try 20 times before I got the done button to upload the picture you see above and another 20 to see the new banner. oh! Did you notice that? I pestered my graphic designer friend in my development team into giving that new look. Such nice chap. I promised him a nice Mutton Kasa which I will blog too when I do.

Today's recipe is Maharastrian Dish that I modified for the Bachelor Cooking.
I didn't know about Whole green moong based Khichdi. Well whole moong is kind of Lentil, and Khchdi is like ....ummm Masala or salted vegetable porridge well almost..

I didn't know about this dish untill a few days back when my boss brought it for her lunch, and offered me to taste. And it was yummy. It is cooked in coconut based Masala, and I forgot if it had name. Oh! My boss knows I am a good cook and that I have a food blog. And she told me how it is cooked. I just remembered that it had grated coconuts and moong daal.

I added a lot more than just moong daal, lol.

Ingredients:
In one small cup, measure 3/4 moong daal and 1/4 chana daal.
Soak for 5-6 hours.

1 cup peas.
3 TBS grated coconut.
1 cup rice, washed right before adding to the cooker.
Dhania/coriander powder, Jeera powder, and red chilli powder, Turmeric.
Red chilli, Bayleaves, Mustard and Jeera seeds
1 Onion finely chopped.
1 TBS freshly ground ginger garlic paste.
2 tomatoes chopped roughly

Heat 2 TBS oil in pressure cooker,
and add 1 red chilli, 1 bayleaf, 1 tsp each of Jeera and Mustard seeds.
Let it sputter for a few seconds and add the onions.
Add the ginger garlic paste when onions are limp,
and Saute till onion is golden brown.
Add 1/2 tsp each red chilli powder, turmeric, dhania and jeera powder.
Add the grated coconut, now add the soaked daal.
Add 3 cups of water.
Shimmer for 5 minutes, and add the peas, rice and tomatoes.
Now wash the rice and add.
Check the water level, there should be as much more water as there are solids.
( if solids are 1 iches deep, water much be 1 inch above the solid for a medium sized cooker)

Add salt to taste.
Close and whistle 4-5 times and remove from heat.
Let cool, and when pressure are down, open it and add a dollop of Cow ghee,
and coriander and mix well.

Taste great with garlic achaar.

12 Comments:

Blogger reshma said...

I've had the same trouble with uploading photos a few days back.cool banner!

3/24/2006 01:24:00 AM  
Blogger RP said...

Hello Anthony
I have been silently reading your blog for the past several days. Lots of pictures and recipes here! I will be adding a link to this in my blog.

How do I submit a dish for the curry mela??

Thanks.

3/24/2006 02:08:00 AM  
Blogger Priya said...

i have the same problems with blogger. Sometimes it gets too irritating.
And ur kichdi is awesome, have never had green gram kichdi b4. Shall try it soon.

3/24/2006 03:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we (hubby n me) looooove khichdi...its a must on sunday evening...after eating n eating all thru the weekend....i might try this on sunday..

3/24/2006 08:28:00 AM  
Blogger Luv2cook said...

Hey Tony:

Love the new look!

BTW, blogger was giving me the exact same trouble with uploading pictures. Although, I think I found how to trick it. I just give up, copy the entire html onto a new post altogether and that seemed to work better. Do try it and see if it works for you too!

3/24/2006 09:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Reshma: The cost of free software it seems huh!... But it would really freak me out if it happens when I am compiling the curry mela..

@ RP: Thanks a lot pal... I am flattered. Justr send me link to your entry, or leave comment with a link to the same...

@ Priya: Thnks.. It was very yummy, i have another khichdi recipe in my draft.. post it soon.

@ Mehak: Oh yeah!! Actually i had you in mind when i posted.. I thought lots of non-veg recipes in a row must be reason I got no comments from ya lol

3/24/2006 10:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Luv2cook: Will try that, thanks for the tip.
But my problem was, when i click submit buton on the photo upload window, the window just goes blank....
Will try to open another editor lol

3/24/2006 10:03:00 AM  
Blogger Sury said...

Looks great sir. I have to add this to my must-try list right away!

Also, I wanted to request for some indexing help from you. Should I email about that?

3/24/2006 11:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thnx sury, and yeah you can email me..

3/24/2006 01:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats sweet ....thanks

3/24/2006 07:21:00 PM  
Blogger Luv2cook said...

Tony:

Yeah..that was exactly my problem. When trying to upload a picture it would "think" for a while and then the window would just be blank. I gave up and then tried to create a new post altogether.

3/24/2006 07:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mosr welcome mehak... I hace another amazing khichdi recipe

Luv2cook: hahah exactly.. u 've put it so well.. thinking for a while lol.. thnks for the tip again.

3/24/2006 10:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home