Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Prawns and Potato Fritters pakodas Ver 2.0

The picture above is the Gram flour batter


I have blogged about the same earlier here. I love pakodas, and if you see a decently dressed fella gorging on bhajiya on a roadside stall alongside people you normally see eating on the roadside, rest assured, it is me.

My love affair with fritters, pakodas, pakoras, badi, vadi, bori, bhaji, call it whatever name, started ages back..and even i don't remember when. But I can't resist this deep fried potatoes, onions, vegetables or prawns in a gram flour batter.

This time I made it quite simpler:

For the batter:
  1. Mix gram flour, (preferably peas flour, but usual gram flour is fine) with water and mix well. The measurement should be like 1 part water and 4 parts flour. Just keep in mind the batter is thick enough to stick to the vegetable or prawn. Too thin and it will run.
  2. In the batter(for 2 cup measure of batter) add half tsp each of jeera powder, garam masala and dhania powder. Add half tsp salt, a pinch of red chilli powder and half Tsp of baking soda. Keep aside.
I had semi fried for a few minutes the prawns since i didn't like the idea od dipping fresh prawns in the batter, but some people dip fresh ones. It is tastier though. My prawns are round since I pre-fried them. The prawns curled up when I fried.
Now dip the prawns in the batter and deep fry in low heat till you get the color as in the picture( not the burnt one, lol).

Also, you can cut potatoes in round slice about 2-4 mm thick, dip in the batter and deep fry in very low heat.

Turn when one side is cook and cook the other side till golden in colour.
Have with Tea, or as a side dish.

Cauliflowers, Bhindi, Onions and Brinjals also make fine pakoras.


, , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Marcela said...

What a delicious blog you have here!

2/01/2006 05:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks! I will have to go home, cook and eat now!

Btw, the photo with the spoon in a rice bowl is really nice :)

2/01/2006 05:54:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

am hungry......

2/01/2006 08:21:00 PM  
Blogger Gypsynan said...

awesome!

2/02/2006 10:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ marcela: tyhank you

SS: hope it turns out fine

@ Mehak: I am glad...

@ Gypsynan: thank you...

2/03/2006 12:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a variation to suggest.
1. Combine your besan with 50% maida. This will be easier on the stomach, as it is lighter than besan.
2. Add an egg to the batter, this will change the flavour.
Gautam

4/06/2008 10:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Diana said...

Wow.. Nice looking cake and looks so yummy too.

9/10/2011 06:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Diana said...

I love seafoods and most especially PRAWNS! I get so excited when I see unique recipes online. Thanks for sharing.

9/10/2011 06:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home