Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Bombay Duck Sauteed with Onions



I didn’t know till recently that Bombay duck, isn’t actually a duck. I love duck meat, and if you haven’t tasted duck meat, do try it out. Some Chinese restaurant serve it and Mainland China also serve it, at least on occasions, if I remember. I forgot to ask if they serve it all year long. I love the gravy of duck curry, and you won’t get the duck curry in mainland china, only in Anthony’s kitchen. Duck cooked the same way we cook home-cooked chicken. I don’t where I will get duck meat to cook, if I wanted to, here in Mumbai. I’d be glad to know if it is available.

When I saw a packet of some meat like-pickle like thing at the local cold storage, with the name Bombay duck written on it, I asked the shop owner, If it was duck meat.
“He laughed.”
“So did the guy who had come to buy his stock of meat.’

“Bombay duck is a fish it seems, or so I learnt.”
And since it was the closest thing I had seen, to a duck, in years, I wanted to give it a try.
“It was already pickled in some masala, so I didn’t have to do much work to get a palatable dish.”
I used to prepare stirred fried or sautéed dried sea-fish with onions.
Which is what I did.

Two large onions sliced into thin slivers.
The Bombay duck, 250 grams.
Red chilli powder, and Jeera-dhania powder mixed.
No Salt, the fish was salted

Steps:
Heat 2 tbs peanut oil in a pan.
Add the onuions and sauté till limp.
Add ½ tsp each of Chilli powder, jeera powder and dhania powder.
Add the fish and sauté for 10 minutes in medium heat.
It's done.
Yes, it is. Isn't it simple.


Serve with roti or rice, hot.
The taste was as good it was smelly.
And the smell was strong, and those who don’t like fish, I advise not to try this.
Fish lovers, you don’t know what you are missing!!!!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony, I am a fish lover. But are you sure that is fish??? It looks so different.
Your dish reminded me of the dry fish curries my mom prepared, I used to literally done anything to miss the meal (usually I bluffed saying I have stomach upset). But now, my hubby is a great fan of dried fish. Till today, I have cooked everything he asked for but never the dried fish curry :). Still he has hopes of eating dried fish curry prepared by me :).

5/30/2006 11:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes shilpa, that is like dry fish only. Dried and pickled Bombay duck... it's long fish and taste like meat lol

5/31/2006 12:10:00 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

We call it 'bombil'. I dont mind the smell but I hate the tiny thorns. Such a bother :-)
PS - Tony about the template, I wish I could help you but I have no idea at all about codes and html and what not. My friend just did it for me entirely. I have heard that there are free templates for blogger...maybe you could check those? Or wordpress if you dont mind moving has better lay outs. Sorry :-(

5/31/2006 01:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sukha bombil is what I thought when I saw the picture. I could never stand the smell. I did like dried prawns though! I stopped eating dried fish after we moved to Versova. The fish were dried on the roadside and the dogs walked right through them and did their business there, too.

I loved fresh bombil though - fried. Crunchy on the outside and jelly-like on the inside. Delicious! I used to crunch right through the bones!

5/31/2006 04:35:00 AM  
Blogger Sumitha said...

Never heard about Bombay Duck Anthony,Thanks for the info!

5/31/2006 01:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Ashwini: The pickled one that cooked had no thorns. But for the smell lol. And thanks for the info.
I know about the free ones.. Just liked the way template is designed.. very clean lol...
I wanted to move to WP but somehow I didn't feel like... This url already has very good page rank, and i didn't want to start all over again

@ Manisha: It is not the dried ones, but pickled and packaged by some company. It was pretty tasty.... I will try fresh ones sometime.

5/31/2006 02:41:00 PM  
Blogger Kitchenmate said...

I never liked dried fish, but i like the onion masala with plain rice.. it tastes great.... and your onion masala looks yummy, like my mom's.. and the only variation is her adding small onions. Good one Tony!

5/31/2006 08:01:00 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Tony here is a site I came across -http://blogger-templates.blogspot.com/
I have also seen a couple more, will send across soon...hope you like something. good luck :-)

5/31/2006 10:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

KM: This was different lol.

Ashwini: Thanks a lot dear!!

6/03/2006 04:03:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Anthony i am delighted to read your blog.I am a fisherman from mumbai and we sell seasonal dried fish.Are dried fishes have demand in Delhi markets.Thanks for the information-Rajesh(mumbai)rajg1091@rediffmail.com

10/16/2007 05:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey dude, my mum was driving me nuts for a recipe on the stinky dries... thanks man...
dee

8/08/2008 05:18:00 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

:) Taste better than the stink.. much better

8/15/2008 10:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home