Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Lamb chops/Mutton Ribs Masala



Been cooking a lot of Mutton Dishes, Mutton Masala, Mutton Korma, MTM oops Mutton Tikka Masala, Mutton Biryani.... Well, the chicken has been down with the flu..

This is my second installment of my Mutton Bonanza, after the Mutton Vindaloo.
I am very fond of Ribs, and The next thing that I love after Pork Ribs is of course lamb chops, that I have cooked here and here.

As my regular visitors know, I have learnt cooking out of passion and mostly from hit and trials and experiments. But, it helps that I have a knack of feeling how a dish might turn out even if it were the first time I was cooking... And so, it was with this dish too. Self praise notwithstanding, it was an amazing treat.

The name, well! I just made up the name.
It is lamb prime ribs or mutton chops as is commonly known, cooked the way the usual Mutton masala or mutton curry is cooked.
Grilled Prime ribs is a favorite dish, be it pork or lamb. With steamed vegetables and mashed potatoes and gravy. Yummy. I have cooked lamb chops often, but when I was buying lamb chops at the butcher’s, it suddenly struck me to see how it cooked in a simple way, the home cooked style.

It was amazing. Simple yet succulent with a taste that lingers long after you have swallowed the meat.
And you could suck on the ribs or soft bones… This is heavenly, and the said exercise is only proper within the private walls of your house. Sucking the bones, that is.

Lamb Chops: Half a kilo
Tamato: Two
Onion: one large
Ginger and Garlic: 1 tbs each crushed or chopped. (not the paste with vinegar)
Methi: half tsp
Chilli powder, Dhania and Jeera: 1 tsp each
Meat masala: 1 tsp, everest or MDH etc
Bayleaves: 2 nos.
Salt to taste and Coriander to garnish

Steps:

Heat kadhai, and add two Tbs vegetable oil.
Add bayleaves.
Add the onions and fry till limp. Add methi and salt.
Add the meat, and sauté.
Keep stirring and sauté for 10 minutes.
Now add the ginger garlic, and all the masala.
Mix well, lower heat and cover it.
After a few minutes, open and mix well again and then cover it.
Repeat the exercise for 20 minutes.
Add tomatoes now.
Then, add two cups of hot water and let shimmer.
Cook till gravy thickens to your liking.

Garnish with coriander.

Yes yes, I didn’t marinate.
Cooking covered in low heat for a long time with the masala will make the meat absorb masala.
That is better than marinate, if it is not the yoghurt marinade.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anthony,

I am amazed that a young bachelor guy like you is so keen in cooking everyday and even more blogging about it regularly.

5/24/2006 08:58:00 AM  
Blogger Sumitha said...

Lamb chops rooks delicious!Anthony,my husband is a very good cook and I love to eat all the dishes he prepares,I can imagine how lucky your wife will feel!
its true what you said,with a little basics in cooking,common sense, instinct and loads of passion for food and cooking,anyone can cook well!

Hey I have posted the yummy Capsicum zhunka recipe in my blog!

5/24/2006 01:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Anthony!! This looks so yumm. Now I'm hungry! :o)

5/24/2006 08:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LG: hehehe... Call it passion?? I wish i could cook and blog full time... I need to eat anyway right, and i love my own cooking better than any chef's except maybe my mom..

@ Sumitha: So true.. Couldn't agree more.. An yeah I checked iyt out.. thanks for mentioning me...

Meena: lol, so am I now... loll how u doing.. long time..

5/24/2006 10:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anthony, just don't turn into someone else when you do get married, ok?

My husband used to make idlis from scratch with sambar for his friends when he lived in California. After we got married, he changed. Now, he might make tea and maybe coffee. He says, "You cook so well...if I cook, it won't taste as good!" Yeah, right! But I do have quite a few friends who have continued cooking after marriage and their wives don't cook, for the same reason!

5/24/2006 11:43:00 PM  
Blogger Lakshmi said...

wow mutton, one of my fav.......

5/25/2006 05:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! They are looking really good..the color of the masala is really tempting.

5/25/2006 06:09:00 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

@manisha: Don't worry... I had a GF who used to come over sometimes.. ooks well too.. but I am too possesive /of my cooking we used to fight over it lol.....

@ Lakshmi: I have few more dishes lined up

@ Gini: U should tasteit sometime.. My mutton I mean

5/25/2006 06:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried Capsicum Zhunka yday......dint come out the way its in the pic on ur blog...but then easy dish n different.

5/25/2006 08:47:00 AM  
Blogger MI said...

Thanks thanks thanks once again, this came out really awesome, I have changed slightly (added potato & mint) and it was so so good. Thanks !!!

http://mingudam.wordpress.com/2007/03/31/lamb-thongba/

3/31/2007 10:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks thanks thanks once again, this came out really awesome, I have changed slightly (added potato & mint) and it was so so good. Thanks !!!

http://mingudam.wordpress.com/2007/03/31/lamb-thongba/

3/31/2007 10:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home