Friday, January 13, 2006

Chicken Masala



Now, Howzatt??
I will write the recipe tomorrow.
Got some work now.. ciao

I am back...

Chicken masala:

This was very yummy, and when I say yummy, believe me it was.
Have I told you that I have started to eat good food again, thanks to my blog and visitors who come by and inspire me to cook and post, and cook and post. I always cook better when I am cooking for someone. Whenever I have a guest, I take extra care and the food always turns good. Because I am cooking for somebody else( not that I don’t love myself but I am conscious about overeating). And since I post most of the things that cooks in my kitchen, what I cook for myself also become something that my visitors will enjoy, reading or trying them out. The day before( the day of the newspaper), a friend, a very old friend came visiting me, so I thought I will cook up a nice fare for him. And since I would post it too, I took double the care I usually take and man it was good. The food turn out excellent, though my friend said it was only the second best chicken he ever tasted in his life. The best had less masala, so I assured him, next time he comes, I will cook it with less masala and am gonna take his opinion again. But it was better than any restaurant’s, he said. Made my day.

The recipe is the usual onion, ginger-garlic, dhania-jeera powder, and chicken masala.
Good cooking has to do I guess with the sense of timing that comes naturally if you care enough.
And, I cooked in low heat. It took a long time, and we were sipping beer as I cook, but we waited until it was just perfect. Patience is a virtue…


I cooked……..
1 kilo tender chicken.
One large onion finely chopped ( just a large one, too much and chicken will be sweet)
12-15 cloves of garlic and a 1 inch finger of ginger. Both crushed or ground into a coarse paste.
1 Tsp Jeera powder, 1 tsp dhania powder, 1 tsp red chilli powder, half tsp turmeric( little more or less depending on the quality of the haldi)
2-3 bay leaves.
1 tsp of Chicken Masala ( MDH or Averest-available in all leading e-stores)
2 green chillis sliced into halves.
two tomatoes chopped fine.
One large potato cut onto 3 quarter cubes.

Don’t marinate chicken.

Use oil liberally. 4 Table spoons ( should be just enough so that the onions are covered with oil)
Heat oil in a kadhai or a frying pan.
When hot, add the bayleaves and after a few seconds the onions and green chilli.
Lower heat.
Fry the onions in low heat still they turn slight golden brown.
Now add the ginger garlic paste and stir/mix well with a spatula.
When oil and mixture separates( will take about 30-40 seconds),
Add the masalas -dhania, jeera, turmeric, red chilli.
Don’t add chicken masala now.
Mix well and fry for 10-15 seconds and add a little water, about 2 Tbs.
Stir so that masala don’t stick to pan, and now add the chicken.

Cover the pan and increase the heat.
After 5 minutes, open the pan and mix well.
Put the potatoes and tomatoes and cover the lid
and let the chicken cook in low heat till potatoes are cooked.
Stir occasionally.
When potatoes are cooked, add one and half cup of boiling water.
Increase the heat, Mix well, and cook for 5 minutes with lid open.
Add the Chicken masala. Salt to taste.
Cook for 3-4 minutes and garnish with corianders.
Rice or Daal? Tell me.
Do leave a comment and click the link too.

16 Comments:

Blogger Swamy VKN said...

It looks really spicy and yummy dear friend Anthony. I love your presentation too over the TOI page. WOW! will look forward to this spicy concoction. Take your time. Cheers!

1/13/2006 06:18:00 PM  
Blogger Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

Hey Anthony... the dish looks really tempting... Better publish the recipe soon.. esle I'll eat up the screen...

1/13/2006 09:09:00 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

I have done the needfull dear friends..

1/13/2006 11:43:00 PM  
Blogger silverine said...

Check this out and get this icon on your blog.

http://www.tangmonkey.com/food/ring/

1/14/2006 01:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Silverine... the page wouldn't load properly.. Couldn't get the code somehow...

@ VKN and Tina... It looked much better than the picture.. Somehow with the flash on, the pics didn't come well..

1/15/2006 11:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Anthony, tried this. My husband loves it. But I need to try again to get ur color & consistency Thanks ;)

Check this out
http://mingudam.wordpress.com/2006/07/22/anthony-s-chicken-masala/

7/25/2006 11:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice site

11/23/2006 01:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best site

11/23/2006 01:02:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice site

11/23/2006 01:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My hubby loved it, only my dish didnt; match ur chicken masal colour, what cld go wrong?

1/07/2007 12:24:00 PM  
Blogger jacob said...

hi,
i've linked this recipe of your to my blog. hope you don't mind. Thanks,
jacob

1/15/2007 11:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These comments have been invaluable to me as is this whole site. I thank you for your comment.

7/09/2007 01:02:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It turned out to be really good, my family enjoyed it a lot. Thanx to you for the recipe.

10/08/2007 08:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Anthony,
This turned out SUPERB. I wanted to take a pic, but we forgot and ate it up before that :).
Thanks so much. What I like is your recipes are both simple and delicious.
Regards,
Anjali

6/12/2008 05:10:00 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ Anjali: I am so glad.. It is always a pleasure to hear that someone found my recipe nice to eat :)

6/13/2008 07:39:00 AM  
Blogger Nusha said...

This is so good! i just moved thousands miles away from home to continue studies. with the weather here its a perfect meal i cooked. thanks to you.

11/16/2011 07:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home