Tuesday, March 21, 2006

eggs and boiled potatoes



Another simple dish from the house of Bachelor cooking.
I mean it can't get simpler than this.

Something that I cook often when I am late from office, or on a lazy sunday morning.

When I cook Daal and Rice, and I need a side dish like a Bhaji to go with,
yet sometimes you are so lazy, or tired after a hard days work.
And so I need to cook up something real quick.

Other than a rich daal fry with onion all masalas, and even some makhaan, I find this side dish very convenient.
Takes around 10 minutes to cook, well take out the time I took to boil the potatoes, for I boil the potatoes along with the Daal.


Two large potatoes washed properly and cut in half*.
One Large Onion, chopped.
Green Chilli, chopped.
2-3 Eggs.
1 medium size Tomato, chopped.
Pinch of haldi(turmeric), mirchi(Chilli) powder, Dhania powder and Jeera powder.
Pinch should be like 1/4 of a Tsp.
Coriander to garnish.

When you boil the daal for cooking, add the potatoes.
Peel if you boiled with the skin.
Crush roughly with the hand or cut into 3/4 inch cubes.

Add onions and green chilli in 1 TBS of oil and fry till onion is very limp.
Add all the pinches of masala, and salt to taste.
Add tomatoes and for 2 minutes.
Add the Potato, and fry/ mix well (sauté) continuously.
Fry for about 3 minutes and break three eggs over it.
Keep sautéing, till eggs and potatoes mix and eggs have solidified.

Garnish with coriander.

*(You may peel it now or peel it after it gets boiled); I boil with the skin and peeled later because someone once told me it retains the nutrients.

16 Comments:

Blogger Vineela said...

Hi,
Nice dish.Let me give a try.
vineela

3/22/2006 01:20:00 AM  
Blogger Vineela said...

Hi Anthony,
Thanks for adding me into ur blog.
vineela.

3/22/2006 01:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its really nice and quite easy as well.And i love both potatoes and eggs..Donno why i haven't tried such a combo..:)

3/22/2006 06:18:00 AM  
Blogger Luv2cook said...

cool..never heard of potatoes and egg together. I am going to have to try this!

3/22/2006 07:47:00 AM  
Blogger Menu Today said...

Hello Anthony,
Thanks for adding me in your blog.
I need to go through your posting patiently and am certain to pick up some interesting things.

3/22/2006 07:54:00 AM  
Blogger Shalini said...

I'm a veg and my hubby eats non-veg, this looks like a very simple dish that i can cook for him. Thx for sharing it...

3/22/2006 12:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Vineela: You might get addicted to it..lol, it has a very different and yummy taste that makes you want to eat more..
And hey! you are welcome!!

@ Annita: Click on the menu, I hva edone a lot on hit and trial on the same combo lol....

@ Luv2cook: You don't know what you missing lol

@ Shalini: Believe m he will get adicted to it lol

@ Menutoday: Most welcome.... and it will be a pleasure

3/22/2006 03:41:00 PM  
Blogger Kitchenmate said...

Tony: Definitely trying out. I think my kid would love this combo (less spicy). Thanks for sharing this one Tony:)

3/22/2006 11:40:00 PM  
Blogger Kay said...

Here's my entry for this weekend, buddy,
http://towardsabettertomorrow.blogspot.com/2006/03/gounder-kozhi-rasam-and-kari-varuval.html

3/23/2006 07:40:00 PM  
Blogger Kitchenmate said...

Tony:
Here is my entry for Curry Mela # 11. I am not sure if you are going to make it this weekend or next, anyways here is mine,
http://kitchenmate.blogspot.com/2006/03/thair-vadai-dahi-vada-lentil-donuts-in.html#links

3/23/2006 09:30:00 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ karthi: Yeah that is not spicy at all... and thanks for the entry

@ And Kay: Thanks for the entry

3/23/2006 10:33:00 PM  
Blogger Kitchenmate said...

Tony: I prepared this potato egg curry for our lunch was so yummy (i was short of tomatoes and used tomato paste instead), and little bit sticky, taste was so good. Thanks for this recipe buddy:)

3/24/2006 12:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks KM: Fresh tomatoes are better always, and hey you could have done without the tomato.. It taste differently yummy.. Try without the tomato again...

3/24/2006 10:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will have to try this one. I like eggs and potatoes so i think i will like this dish. Sounds an ideal and convenient dish if you have not much time. I don't think my partner will like it but i'am going to try it.

Keep up the good work!

3/24/2006 07:14:00 PM  
Blogger ananya said...

ummm...i tried this today with boiled rice and hot moong ka daal..it was a mast combo.thanks!

8/07/2009 01:43:00 PM  
Blogger ananya said...

ummm...i tried this today with boiled rice and hot moong ka daal..it was a mast combo.thanks!

8/07/2009 01:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home