Sunday, December 11, 2005

French Beans with coconut and Grams

I love anything French; specially "French".

No wonder I love French beans.
So, when I saw this Recipe at Sury's, It brought back fond memories of Bangalore and ubiquitous South Indian thalis. French beans with Coconuts and grams was my favorite dish. Never tried to cook it though, though I always eat French beans, usually steamed or just boiled much to dismay of many people, but I love beans boiled. When i am alone and I am cooking rice, I always add a handfull of beans in the rice which I sort them out later and eat, just like that. Not much for the taste, it kinda taste bland, but not bad.

I eat french beans more for the nutritious value, than the taste but have gotten a liking or addiction to it after a long time. I am a heath freak, and I hate being sick, and I hate medicines and hospitals, except for multi vitamins and an occasional anti-flattulent or antacid very rarely, I don't take medicines. And Gods have been kind, I am rarely sick. Last time I was sick was in March 2002 , when I was down with Jaundice during a backpacking trip down Hyderabad and Aurangabad. I guess it was water, and even since I have stopped drinking unsafe water. I remember having down with fever only 4 or 5 times since I grew up. Last fever i had was a long time back just after I declared to my grandma that I am never sick, and she told me," Shhh!! don't say that, say Vishnu Vishnu(manipuri for touch wood equivalent)". Coincidence or a cosmic joke, i was down with fever the next day after many years. Superstitious that I am, I stopped announcing that I was healthy. And being superstitious made me realise that if I keep telling it, God would get tired of making me fall ill again and again, so I don't mind saying that I haven't been sick in 3 years. Vishnu Vishnu. Touch Wood. Since Gods have been kind to me, I also keep my side of the bargain by eating healthy and follow the maxim pevention is the best cure. My ambition in life is to make all the pharma companies bankcrupt.. An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Ah! I love Apples, and yeah french beans is very healthy and its green. So french beans is a part of diet. And by the way, a garlive clove or two with your dinner makes you smell awful but its good for health. If you are in the season when fluor cold is common, don't forget to have fresh garlic cloves everyday with dinner. And brush your teeth well.





So, where were we? Oh Coconut and French beans, well I would like to direct you to Sury's since I followed his recipe to the T. Here is the Recipe. The picture is what I cooked.

I put a little more jeera than necessary and the dish was a little strong on jeera, add very little jeera when you cook it. And Sury recomended cury patta, but I forgot to get it so i did it without the cury patta. But for the excess jeera, the food turned out quite well.

And message to all, eat healthy, sleep well, and keep away from medicines. All doctors will tell you that medicines only cure the symptoms, but if you are used to having medicines, you immune systems will be so weak that you can't fight away deseases. Try eating those food that strengthens the immune system. And eating meat is not bad at all. Meat also strengthens the body, one reason why India can't get any gold medal in the olympics is mainly due to this. But again, I won't force anyone but a balance diet should contain everything. Soya beans cannot replace meat as the ruchi soya campaign claims. But better than meat is Fish. Eat fish for brains, the intelligence of the Japanese has much to do with their diet, and why are bengalis smarter than most non-fish eaters.. LOL. I won't say much about Manipuris, Modesty is my name. And yeah, Fish does great for the Libido. I won't say more....

Peek into my Other blog here

,,,,,,,,

6 Comments:

Blogger sailu said...

Absolutely healthy recipe,Anthony.I cook beans for my family regularly.I cook french beans and coconut too.. almost on the same lines as 'Lokpriya' recipe.

12/13/2005 07:40:00 PM  
Blogger Sukanya C said...

Hi Anthony...a request...can barely read your posts...can you increase the font size??? Hv linked your kitchen to timid cook!!

12/14/2005 07:26:00 AM  
Blogger Sury said...

Glad you liked it, Anthony and thanks for linking to our blog. I enjoy reading your posts--witty and yum. Keep them coming :)

12/14/2005 09:43:00 AM  
Blogger rums said...

hey anthony thanks for taking time to visit my blog. i'm looking forward to more manipuri recipes from you :)

12/14/2005 12:53:00 PM  
Blogger Doc said...

Hey Anthony...a nice place you've got here buddy...I've been lurking here of late and arent you glad to know that you've been tagged by me for a meme? ;)))) Plz do check it out here:
http://selfstyledchef.blogspot.com/2005/12/you-are-what-you-eat-meme-my-top-10.html
rgds
gts
(only femmes get my luv&rgds...the hommes..only rgds;))))

12/15/2005 10:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great recipe: simple, tasty and healthy. French cuisine is amazing. I'm blogging about French cooking. And I love it!

8/24/2007 08:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home