Sunday, January 01, 2006

Potatoes and Eggs

Happy New Year everybody.
My first Food post for 2006.

Bachelor Cooking is what my blog is all about.
Bachelor cooking should mean easy to cook but taste as great as mom's cooking.
Most of the recipes here are simplified versions of what my mom could teach me on the phone. But cooking takes much more than recipes. It takes a passion of not just cooking but also a passion for feeding people. To cook for others and not just self. The pleasure I get when I see satisfied guest is much like orgasm( and nobody fakes that with me :-D). This passion made me do many experiments and I have learnt to cook rather simple meals as well.
One dish that I often make for the simplicity in cooking and yet very satisfying has been eggs and potatoes( refer sidebar for my egg curry). Eggs and Potatoes make a very fine pair, and it can be whipped up pretty fast.

Now one particular dish I prepare as side dish to dal rice very often is potatoes with eggs. I don't know where I picked this dish up and have known it for a long time. I cooked it from my many experiments, for nobody have cooked it for me but myself. So i was quite surprised when I learnt that this is called Spanish Omellete as K writes [here]. It feels good that something I cooked because it was simple, fast and filling was a Spanish dish.. Hmm Muy Bien.


Steps:
Cut the potatoes(about 2) very small as you can see above.
First cut in halves. Keep with the centre face down on a chopping board and make longish cuts about 2 mm thick. You will get about 6 slices. now turn90 degrees ands cut the same way again. You will get small pices of potatoes.

One Large Onion, chopped fine.
Two green chillis chopped.
One large tomato Chopped.
4 eggs Beaten ina bowl with a pinch of salt.

How to prepare:
Pour 2 Tbs vegetable oil in a pan and and its hot fry the potatoes.
With a spoon or spatula, spread the potatoes evenly so that they are even ly cooked.
Now the potatoes will cook fast if the fire is hot.
When one side turns slight brown, add the onions and green chillis.
It will be easy to mix now as the onions will provide the lubrication.
Fry for 2 minutes and add the tomatoes.( First picture)
Add salt to taste, half teaspoon red chilli powder and Jeera powder .
Fry for five minutes and add the eggs.
Spread evenly.

You may lower the heat and make a omellete by not scrambling the mix but letting it coo for 5 minutes in low heat.

I prefer scrambling it as in the second picture.
K even puts Cheese, which I have'nt tried since I don't like cheese as much.

Ah! this is so filling, sometimes if I am too tired or have loads of homeowrk or blogging to do, I only cook this and eat it as the main dish. The potatoes provide the carbs and eggs have the protiens. And it takes me about 10 minutes to cook.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sury said...

Happy New Year, dear Anthony! What a yummy start to the year! That looks easy to make and fun to eat. Keep more of these delectables coming. Happy cooking and have a great 2006 :)

1/02/2006 05:34:00 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

HAppy new year to you too sury.
And I sure will come up with many more delectables...

1/02/2006 06:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best wishes for a happy and fulfilling year 06, Anthony.

and thanks for sending wishes our way.

1/02/2006 08:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thx Indira

1/02/2006 10:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anthony,Best wishes for 2006! eggs and potatoes sounds yummy, your recipe is cool..will try sometime soon.

1/05/2006 01:20:00 PM  
Blogger sailu said...

Wish you a very happy and prosperous NEW YEAR,Anthony!That's a very simple recipe .

1/06/2006 09:09:00 PM  
Blogger Cyndi said...

Here's an ingredient question for you. When you say "green chile", are they hot ones? Do they make your dish really spicy or just add flavor?

1/20/2006 11:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm a student living by myself and like you said lived on maggi for a long time :P and when i missed indian food would just get take outs ... tried making this and it tasted great .. also tried the dal! Thanks from new zealand! Will make this next time i'm home in india .. mom will be blown away by my culinary "skills" lol !

6/10/2008 01:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home