Thursday, August 31, 2006

Mutton-Lamb Rogan Josh




The Lamb-Mutton Rogan Josh that I cooked the other day!
Certain important events had prevented me from finding the time posting it.
I will write about the events as it unfolds.

And yes, I will write the recipe of the Rogan Josh, today by evening!! That is a promise..
Tis early morning 'ere and I have to finish for Office!!

How I wish I owned a Restaurant :-)

Picture with Different Lighting!
Updating:
So after a long wait I am here with the Rogan Josh!
Right from the name to the looks, Rogan Josh is how mutton should be prepared and How Mutton should be eaten. Mutton Vindaloo or Lamb Chops are good in their own place, but Mutton Rogan Josh or Gosht Rogan Josh is Purely Nawabi. A rich food of the Emperors.

Creating the Rogan Josh in the Mughal Kitchen must have been a very tedious affair, so must have been the naming of the Dish. Rogan Josh, Wah! That is how food should be named. Move aside Foie Gras...

Creating this delicacy requires carefull selection of spices, the right amount of garlic and ginger, the right browning of Onions when you fry the masala and all such.
But what I have here is a very palatable version of the Rogan Josh, simplified for cooking by Novices. For bachelor Cooking, so to speak.

The Recipes:
First the Ingredients
1. 600 grams of Mutton
2. One large Onion, chopped well.
3. 200 grams of yoghurt
4. 2 Tomatoes
5. 10-12 cloves of garlic to get 1 TBS of garlic paste.
6. 1 inch Ginger to be crushed
7. Meat masala ( MDH or Everest meat masala)
8. 2 Bayleaves, 2 cloves, 2 elaichi, 1 star anise.
9. For the marinade, 1 tsp dhania or coriander powder, 1 tsp jeera or cumin powder, half tsp Red Chilli Powder, half tsp haldi, and 1 TBS ginger garlic paste extra beside the one above(you may use ready made paste here, but use fresh for the earlier one).

Preparation:
1. Marinade- Some people marinade the meat with the Yoghurt, but I prefer not to. Here is the reason, it is always tastier to let the meat fry till meat is firm and oil separates from the meat. It is during this time that masala also enters the Meat and make it tasty. Yoghurt must be poured only after that.
SO mix the meat well with the above mentioned ingredients for marinade. Add salt also, now. Keep for at least 2 hours.

2. Heat 2 TBS vegetable oil in a Kadhai or Wok or Thick Bottom Pan and when hot, add 2 bayleaves, cloves, elaichi and star anise. Immediately add the onions and saute till it turns to brown just right.

3. Add the meat now, mis well, reduce and cover it. Keep it that way in low heat for 5 minutes.

4. When you open the pan, there would have been juice comming out from the meat.
Increase heat and saute.

5. Add the fresh ginger garlic paste and Keep stirring from the bottom till juice is dry and oil starts to separate from meat.

6. Add the yoghurt, and cover it. Now cook till the gravy is almost dry again.

7. Add tomatoes and mix well for a few minutes. Add 2 cups of hot water and let shimmer. Add 1 tsp or more of meat masala now. Also add some more salt to taste.

8. Shimmer till gravy is thick and consistent.

Serve!!!

Note: If the meat is not tender, ask the butcher if meat is tender or not, and so if it is not tenmder, the step 7 should be done in a pressure cooker. Three whistles and then cool it and then shimmer till thick and concistent..
Enjoy..

6 Comments:

Blogger Chandrika said...

Hi Anthony,

You have a very lively blog and I enjoyed it a lot...and I must congratulate you for Curry Mela! I am sure it's a lot of effort...I will try to post a recipe for the Curry Mela by tomorrow...

Thank you for all the recipes...

8/31/2006 10:03:00 AM  
Blogger Prema Sundar said...

Hi Anthony,
Rogan Josh looks tempting....I liked the first picture..

8/31/2006 11:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks really good!! I took the second half of my rogan josh out of the freezer and ate it on Monday evening.. Sublime!

8/31/2006 11:42:00 AM  
Blogger FH said...

You should open a restaurant indeed!! Looks good!!

8/31/2006 10:34:00 PM  
Blogger Rosie said...

About freakin' time!! My mouth has been watering looking at those pictures. You are such a tease...

9/01/2006 08:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi People.. Sorry for the late reply.. I am always in a hurry these days.. Will try to slow down, lol!!

@ Chandrika!! I am glad that You like the event.. And thanks for the entry.. I've got it!!!

@ Prema: Thanks... I took a dozen pictures and chose the best lol. It was without the flash I guess.

@ Pam: Thanks to you, actually.. And yeah, I know how it must have felt.. Did you heat it up? Next time don't. The gravy turns into jelly and it taste awesome.. All the spices well absorbed..

@ Foodie's Hope: Maybe someday.. for now I am enjoying IT consulting as well..lol, and it is paying for my food..:-)

@ Rosie: Am I? indeed! lol... such fun.... How do you do? It was very tasty indeed.

9/01/2006 06:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home