Thursday, May 04, 2006

Palag Daal, Spinach and Pulses


My favorite daal recipe.
I can't say, "my favorite palak recipe" though.

I love to eat green leafy vegetables.
Healthy, rich in viatmins and provides roughage for the digestive tract.
I have served up Palak saag with peanuts and Palak paneer already.

The other day I bougth some palak (Spinach), and I hadn't decided what to make of it.
I was planning to just boil it with ginger and tomatoes as a green soup, when I realised that I could add it to daal. I have always loved palak daal and I hadn't had it since I started the blog.
Couldn't have got a more opportuned time.

In fact the recipe is so simple, it is not even a recipe :-)

Boil daal with a pinch of turmeric and half an onion, chopped roughly and two chopped tomatoes.
Boil till daal is cooked. or Pressure cook it for quicker result.
Keep aside daal.
Wash and chop the palak roughly. Keep aside

In a frying pan, heat a little oil ( a Tsp should be more than enough).
Add half tsp each of jeera and methi and let sputter.
Add the palak and saute till all palak are limp liquid have dried.
Pour the daal, and let shimmer in low heat.

For the tadka:
Heat another kadhai or pan and add a 1 tsp of oil.
Add a red chilli and a bay leaf.
Add the remaining half of onion, finely chopped, and fry till golden brown.
Add a Tbs of ginger garlic paste and saute for about 2 minutes.
Add a little jeera-dhania powder( a tsp), and a half tsp of red chilli powder.
Now pour the daal palak from the pan...
Add salt to taste..

Why haven't I get any entries for the curry mela yet??
Do send in the links for the curry mela before 8 pm IST Friday...

See you on curry mela.
Next week will be a Mutton Bonanza.
I have about 4 mutton dishes in my Food Blog Folder on my laptop.

9 Comments:

Blogger RP said...

What a coincidence! I am making this today. Its on the stove & I am waiting. I thought I would take a round in the blogosphere in the meantime, and there you have it already plated!

5/05/2006 01:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi anthony,

This is the first time I am participating in any blog event. So just trying.

Here is my recipe for the curry mela.

Thanks.

5/05/2006 02:59:00 AM  
Blogger Revathi said...

Hi Anthony
Here is my entry to this weeks curry mela.
http://en-ulagam.blogspot.com/2006/04/pepper-curry.html
This is very different curry - to get the korma or curry like consistency I have used pureed channa. Another low-fat attempt. Thanks you very much. I loved your mackerel I am planning to try it.
Cheers

5/05/2006 05:28:00 AM  
Blogger Tanuja said...

Hi Tony,

Here is my entry for this weeks curry mela http://kodaliskitchen.blogspot.com/2006/05/nuvvu-pappu-fryseasame-fry.html

Thank u

5/05/2006 10:00:00 AM  
Blogger Kitchenmate said...

Tony: Another healthy recipe, looks yummy!
Here is my entry for the curry mela:
http://kitchenmate.blogspot.com/2006/04/methi-malai-mutter.html

5/05/2006 11:34:00 AM  
Blogger Lakshmi said...

Hi Tony,
this is my entry for the curry mela.
http://myrasoi.blogspot.com/2006/05/onion-fritters-onion-pakodas.html

5/05/2006 07:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey tony..which daal to use yaar??

5/08/2006 03:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mehak: hehehe, Toor daal.. i mostly eat that lol

5/08/2006 04:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

common whats there to laff ..temme

5/09/2006 12:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home