Thursday, April 27, 2006

Veg Biryani and Karela Fry


A long weekend ahead..
I should have stayed back home..
Would have got 3 more days to stay...
And my earned leaves are all the savings that I have, since I can't count my Insurance policy as a saving..

A long weeekend and I still haven't got any entries for the curry mela yet.. *Sigh*
Hey, I am back ;-) Again.

This is one quickie Biryani.
My concept of a Biryani is Smell of Fried Cloves and Basmati Rice( The aromatic variety. I have used broken Biryani or Tukda which is what I have for food everyday).
This was cooked as a quickie meal, and I only has the nice smelling Basmati Tukda.

I threw in a couple of Tomatoes, a handful of French beans and there I was, with a Veg Biryani that I suddenly wanted to cook everyday.

Ingredients:
1 cup Basmati Rice
2 Tomatoes
A handful of French Beans.
Vegetable Oil.
One medium Sized onion Finely Chopped.
4 cloves of garlic and a finger of ginger finely chopped.
The usual Masalas....

Steps:
Heat Oil.
Let sputter 5 cloves of clove, 1 Tsp Jeera, 1 Tsp Mustard seed and a Bayleaf.
Add a Red Kashmiri Chilli too.
Add finely chopped Onions.
Add the chopped Ginger Garlic.
Add half a Tsp of red chilli powder.
Now add the Tomatoes and the beans.
Saute for a few minutes.
Add the Rice, and water.
Level of water should be about an inch above the rice.
Add a tsp of Biryani masala ( you may replace it with Garam amasala or just Dhania + Jeera powder).
Add salt to taste.
Cover and let out 3 whistles.

Open and serve.

For the Fried Karela, refer to my old recipe here.

7 Comments:

Blogger RP said...

Wow! Looks good. I love quick biriyanis.
For the curry mela, please pick one from rasmalai and kale thoran.Thanks.

4/28/2006 03:42:00 AM  
Blogger Kitchenmate said...

Tony: Really quickie.. briyani... but little odd with karela,LOL;)
Here is my curry mela entry (I had it ready)
http://kitchenmate.blogspot.com/2006/04/potato-beans-curry.html#links

Thanks

4/28/2006 08:09:00 AM  
Blogger Revathi said...

Hi Tony
Heres my entry to the curry mela. Oven - Chicken 65
http://en-ulagam.blogspot.com/2006/04/chicken-65-without-fat.html

Glad you are back :)
Cheers

4/28/2006 08:15:00 AM  
Blogger Lakshmi said...

hi
nice to see u back. Here's my entry for curry mela
http://myrasoi.blogspot.com/2006/04/kakarakaaya-ullikaram-kura.html

4/28/2006 06:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to c u back Antony.
I tired making Kichdi gheewala, loved it. Its so easy to make. It tastes like ven pongal( in tamil ) which we usually have for breakfast with chutney and sambar. But the ingredietns are different. We use moong dal .
This biriyani look YUMMO ! the basmati rice u have used is not like the regular ones with long grains. My mom makes biriyani with Seeraga Samba ( tamil) and they taste so gooood, it looks exaclty like the ones u have used. Can u pls clarify my doubt if it is regular basmati rice or is it bcoz of the brand. And thank u for the recipe.

4/28/2006 07:12:00 PM  
Blogger reshma said...

good to see you back, and that too with a biriyani! hmm, this would be too late to submit an entry to the mela, eh?

4/28/2006 11:57:00 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ RKP.. thank for the double entry lol.. I will choose a nce one, thought its gonna be hard

@ Karthi: SOunds interesting... Thnks for the entry .

@ Revathi: I like fat free meat :-)

@ Laksmi: The feeling is mutual ... Thnks for the entry

@ Priya: Yes, moongg daal khichdi is alos good, but toor daal khichdi taste different.. Try it out too.. I also had posted a recipe on green moongdaal khichdi.. The rice I have used here is the Broken Basmati.. It smells good and since I use it for my daily rice, I didn't bother to get the long grained variety.. It was afterall a quickie biryani.. tastes as good as long grained ones.. I didn't care too much about aesthetics...

Santhi: Thnks for the entry

Reshma: I will do he needful Mme

4/29/2006 10:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home