Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Cabbage and Cococut- Cooking For love



The theme, this time, from Meena's from the rasoi, is cooking for Love.
Ummmm… I hardly cook for hate, and I put a lot of love into my cooking, more so if I am cooking for people, guest or close ones and specially my blog readers like I keep saying that I have cooked much better since I started the blog because I know I have to take a picture and blog about it… THE ONLY complain being that I ma losing any weight, much to the chagrin to my Mom and other people :-D

This dish in particular makes me nostalgic about a pace that no more has its charm, or rather the charm has been lost in the traffic, but Bangalore of the late 90’s and early 2000’s and the darshinis and lunch rooms. I was still eating out those days and used to try out different Thalis, and I can still remember those white cabbage dish… You see, this cabbage preparation was done sans turmeric, so it was not yellow like the usual cabbage subjee. And it tasted different, and somehow that taste grew on me. I started loving it and always associated the same with sago and another is the beans preparation.

The white cabbage was flavored with Coconuts and it made amazing subjee with Chapattis. Well, I tried that using my imagination…

Chop the cabbage into fine slivers

Now heat 1 TBS oil or ghee and when hot, add 1 Tsp Mustard seeds and let sputter.
Add a sprig of Curry patta.
Add one finely chopped onion, and fry till translucent.
Add the cabbage, and cook covered in low heat.
And cabbage are soft, add two TBS scrapped coconuts and salt to taste.

Serve…

And may I introduce this great new Food Blog, Ladies and gentleman, Introducing KITCHENMATE...


Tagged with :: : : : : :

2 Comments:

Blogger Kitchenmate said...

Anthony,
I make the exact version, but the only variation is adding couple of green chilles / red chillies for spice while seasoning, otherwise same.

--Karthi

2/21/2006 08:07:00 PM  
Blogger Nandini said...

Anthony...i have been trying to find somebody who would have this recipe...i am so glad u cooked it from memory...i really miss those thalis...god bless u...will try it tomorrow...u cook away for love...

10/13/2007 08:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home