Rice cooked in milk. An excellent dish, and this is the first solid food that a kid eat in Manipur. And also on the fifth day of birth of a child, we celebrate the first birthday of sorts called Swasti Puja, and then also we feed the guest with Kheer along with other sweet meats, in short we welcome a human being to earth with Kheer. This is a very special dish.
I had cooked this dish but couldn't post it, and I remembered when i saw a similar recipe on Zou's. So here it goes:
- Boil 1 ltr milk and when the milk start to rise, stir well.
- Add some bay leaves and 4-5 crushed cardamoms,
- Now add 3/4th of a cup of washed rice, kolam or basmati.
- Keep stirring till the rice becomes soft and the mix becomes thick.
- Add 2 TBS of grated coconuts and sugar to taste.
- Cook for 5 more minutes, you may add dry fruits like raisins, cashews and Badam(crushed).
- Add 1 TBS of desi ghee.
- Serve hot.
PS: A little milk maid makes the dish taste great.