Saturday, November 05, 2005

Friday treat- an Eggy Treat

Silverine left a comment in my old cook blog that my recipes were tried and tested.
Oh yes, they are. These aren't even recipes, just some concoctions that I have cooked many times in the strings of bachelor pads that I have dwelt in. Most of the lessons were tele-learnt. My mom on the phone, me on the phone and kadhai. I like to learn as well, and some people have taught me along the way. Like the Thai salad, which I will copy from my old blog and post it here again.

Along the way, I have learnt another thing. Its not the recipe, but how you cook it. No stopwatch and no measurements can make the perfect dish. I detest measurements likewise. If one really want to cook well, he/she must experiment. All the senses must be used, to know the correct timing, the right smell and the right colour or even the right softness or thickness. Many things matter, and one must be passionate about the dish.

I am quite amazed by the fact that raw vegetables or raw meat could turn out to be the various dishes that we enjoy by mixing them in a cooking vessel and heating them. It is like creating something, much like writing a software program or making those science tools for scinece exhibitions as a kid. All the three have never failed to amaze me. I think the keyword is creation, how would it be to create a baby :-)
As I am writing this, i had to think about how to cook the eggs and it suddenly made me hungry. I am going for lunch now..

Hmm, the Chicken masala wasn't too bad. i ate well, needed the energy. I have a meeting with the Delivery Unit Head at 2:30. Our canteen does serve some good food by the way. We even have a Cafe Cofee day....express.

As usual my friday recipe

Egg Curry:

I have promised this recipe for a long time time now. I have managed to forget posting it.
Someone left me a coment about Egg Rassa so here I am. Nupur had posted a recipe on egg rassa earlier. Opps... just found out its a different Nupur. Not the one from Nupur in the kitchen.

Here is the recipe.
A very simple to cook yet mouth-watering dish; goes well with rice.
My mom cooks the best Egg-curry even today, better than all my Aunts and I have learnt it well from her.

Ingredients:
4 hard boiled eggs cut in half
3-4 large Potatoes Boiled and peeled.
( it could either be cut into cubes or mashed lightly into thumb sized chunks)
3 Tomatoes, chopped loosely.

One large onion, chopped.
1 tablespoon Ginger Garlic paste. Make the paste urself in a mixer or crush in a mortar pestle. And don't make a very fine paste. Make it loose
4-5 green chillis sliced in halves.
Cumin seed(whole as well as powder), and Dhania(coriander seed) powder.
red chili powder, turmeric and salt.

Now, heat 3 table spoon vegetable oil in a frying pan.
Add the eggs with the face with the yolk down, bubbles will form. Let it form.
Fry for 3-4 minutes, and before the face bets burnt, it should just change to pale brown colour
turn them and fry the egg white as well for about a minute.

Remove the eggs, and in the remaining oil put 1 teaspoon of whole cumin seed and the onions.
As usual, fry the onions till golden brown. Add green chilli midway, before the onions are brown.

This is the trick, the water in the onion must be fried dry and yet the
onion must not burn. Also the bubbles or froth already in the oil might confuse
you, just add the onions and it will subside.

After the onions are golden brown, add the ginger garlic paste, and fry for 1 minute.
Now add half a teaspoon of turmeric, half teaspoon of jeera powder, a teaspoon of dhania powder and half a tespoon of red chilli powder.
Without further delay add the Pre-boiled potatoes and fry them together.
Add the tomatoes also. and fry in low flame for a few minutes.
Add water, about 2 cups and cook for 3-4 minutes.
It will start to smell good now, add the eggs slowly and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Add salt to taste.
Add green Coriander leaves, loosely chopped.

And here is your Egg Curry. Eat with rice. This is the ultimate bachelor Dish, easy to cook, good to eat .

PS: Cutting the eggs into halves is not easy, the yolk tend to come
out. Take care while cutting, use a Sharp knife and out some oil on the
knife blade so it doesn't stick to the egg while cutting.
Use oil to your taste, a little more oil doesn't hurt.

Talking About Eggs, I also love Russian Salad with or without eggs.

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Anthony, the real fun of cooking besides satisfying that stomach is the sheer creative pleasure of cooking up a dish in your very own personal style. And that's what I try and experiment with at http://khanapeena.blogspot.com

11/04/2005 04:36:00 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

U r right Kapil..

11/04/2005 05:45:00 PM  
Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

Continuing from the post below, I'm amazed to learn that garlic chives and garlic leaves are two different things. Is there a picture online that I can see? Are there any other herbs used in Manipuri cooking that are not used in other parts of India?

11/05/2005 02:25:00 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

There are lots of herds, I don't have them now as U see I have away quite long. Next time i go home, I shall photograph all the herbs.. But yeah, the two looks the same..only smells extremely different.

11/07/2005 01:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like egg and potatoes..But never had them together.. Your recipe was so simple and picture was great.. so it tempted to make it.. I prepared and it turned out really good.

9/15/2006 07:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi can you give me vegetarian cooking recipes for my web http://www.special-recipes.com

thanks

1/20/2007 11:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi can you give me vegetarian cooking recipes for my web http://www.special-recipes.com

1/20/2007 11:26:00 AM  
Anonymous nij said...

You can cut the boiled eggs into halves with complete perfection by using a thin thread. All u need to do is put the thread accross the egg vertically or horizontly (as u wish)- form a loop and just pull the thread holding its both ends together

3/01/2012 08:11:00 PM  
Anonymous nij said...

You can cut the boiled eggs into halves with complete perfection by using a thin thread. All u need to do is put the thread accross the egg vertically or horizontly (as u wish)- form a loop and just pull the thread holding its both ends together

3/01/2012 08:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can cut the boiled eggs into halves with complete perfection by using a thin thread. All u need to do is put the thread accross the egg vertically or horizontly (as u wish)- form a loop and just pull the thread holding its both ends together

3/01/2012 08:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can cut the boiled eggs into halves with complete perfection by using a thin thread. All u need to do is put the thread accross the egg vertically or horizontly (as u wish)- form a loop and just pull the thread holding its both ends together

3/01/2012 08:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home