Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Simple Chicken Masala with Potato


I said that I was going to post a lot of chicken recipes. We have started to eat chicken after a very LONG Hiatus. We had this little chicken scare you see, the sky was almost falling, the flu was almost there. Very few humans contracted the flu, even fewer succumbed to it. But the scare would have scared the living sky out of chicken little. I threw away a month’s supply of eggs. I just remembered that I haven’t started eating eggs. Hmmm, a few eggie recipes are overdue eh!

OK, I agree that most of Chicken dishes here on Anthony’s Kitchen are cooked in a very similar way. It is because I have tried many other way, and I have come to the conclusion that Chicken is best cooked the way we cook, The Chicken Masala way. The simple way we cook at home, Onions, Garlic-Ginger and Dhania-Jeera way. This dried version is an extremely tasty version that I can eat everyday. Have it with Rotis or with Daal and Rice.

It is quite simple too. The cooking process, that is.

I kilo Chicken, cleaned and cut into medium pieces.
2 Potatoes, cut into cubes (8 cubes per potato).
One large onion chopped.
1 tsp methi + 1 tsp jeera, soaked in little water.
Masala: 1 tsp Jeera powder + dhania powder + Red Chilli Powder and Chicken Masala
Turmeric to suit your cooking style. I did with less than half a tsp.
2 Bay leaves.
Ginger paste 1 TBS + Garlic paste 1 TBS ( Both fresh crushed or ground)
2 green chiili sliced.
2 Tomatoes, chopped.


Heat 3 TBS oil in a Kadhai or Thick Bottom pan.
Add the bay leaves, and Soaked Jeera Methi.
Add Onions and fry till they turn slightly brown.
Add Ginger Garlic paste and green chilli, fry till onions are golden brown.
Add the chicken and increase heat.
Mix well.
Saute and cook till oil starts separates from chicken. (5 minutes)
Add salt to taste and all the masala except Chicken masala.
Mix well and add the potatoes and Tomatoes.
Cover and cook in low heat.
Water will come out from chicken as well as tomatoes.
Add a tsp of chicken masala ( MDH or Maharaja)
Keep stirring from time to time lest the meat should stick onto the bottom of the pan.
Cook this way till potatoes are soft.

Garnish with Coriander. Yummmy

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Template mein kucch gadbad hai.

Your two left columns have been pushed down to the bottom of the page.

6/08/2006 04:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh! I mean the other left. You know? Sometimes also referred as the right?

:-D

6/08/2006 04:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, This is sooooooo Yummmmmmmm every time, I visit your blog ,I do become very hungry ..:)This is the first time I have noticed "Methi" as an ingredient in chicken dishes.would love to try this.Thanks for sharing the recipe !

6/08/2006 08:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy chicken masala Tony :).
I was wondering where the right bar has gone..then read Manisha's comment (BTW..from morning i tried atleast 4-5 times to leave a comment here. But it was giving some error.)

6/08/2006 08:51:00 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ MAnisha: I know, i was tweaking with it yesterday and blogger went crazy, so i couldn't carry on further. left it as is...
@ Lera: Oh, it adds a distint flavor. u will love it.
@ Shilpa: WIll check out... Bloggers has been giving trouble arrrgg

6/08/2006 09:28:00 AM  
Blogger indianadoc said...

That's quite tempting....shall try...so the blogger was giving u too some probs...I ws thinking whether anything ws wrong with my system...It was a real pain trying to publish the snaps...For the last post I have not been able to post a snap at all...Is the blogger getting saturated?!

6/08/2006 01:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds so good.Gonna prepare this for my husband's B'day.Thanx anthony for all the gud manipuri recipes.Reminds me of home.

6/08/2006 07:37:00 PM  
Blogger Kitchenmate said...

Looks delicious and Yummy...
Arrgh.. this blogger did even let me login into my a/c... and it was pain all time since 2 days. Glad it is kind of better now. Here is my entry for this week's Curry mela,
http://kitchenmate.blogspot.com/2006/06/spicy-mushroom-ravioli-mixed-veggies.html#links
Thanks,

6/09/2006 07:52:00 AM  
Blogger Sudha said...

Dish is very yummy..was trying to post this comment for the past 1 1/2days..some how the blogger was not responding ...Finally ..i made it. Yummy dish tony..

6/09/2006 06:08:00 PM  
Blogger Nila said...

chicken looks yummy....i have to try this one soon,thanks for sharing.

6/09/2006 09:44:00 PM  
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Hey, I guess u like the combo of chicken and potato :) looks good:)
Here is my entry for this week curry mela

http://dailygirlblog.blogspot.com/2006/06/moru-kutan-butter-milk-curry.html

6/10/2006 03:56:00 AM  
Blogger Tanuja said...

Hi TONY,

Yummy chicken recipe have to try this for sure.

this is my entry for this weeks curry mela.

http://kodaliskitchen.blogspot.com/2006/06/haryalli-murghchicken-in-green-gravy.html

6/10/2006 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger Sweety Maruth said...

yummy yummy ;-)

but i eat chicken very rare ...:P

neways 2marr i will try this recipe ...hehhee :|

6/10/2006 02:50:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Not only am i making this recipe this weekend.. i am also taking the liberty of posting the recipe and link to my food lovers yahoo group chilliesandchutney@yahoogroups.com

:)

Love it

6/13/2006 09:13:00 PM  
Blogger Mahek said...

hi
your recipe seems to be yummm...
i want to try it as soon as possible but i just have a doubt can you pls clear it.
if you add soaked methi and jeera to oil won't it affect the frying of onions that you put after it due to the water along with the seeds.

6/23/2006 11:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has become one of my top fav. Thanks thanks thanks , I have really got into cooking & eating after I have tried many of your recipe.

http://mingudam.wordpress.com/2006/07/22/anthonys-chicken-dry/

11/18/2006 04:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home