Monday, June 12, 2006

Bachelor's Aloo Bhindi Subjee

My friend told me, when I took out the Bhindi Subjee for taking this awful picture ( Time to buy a Digital SLR), that "Bhindi Ki Subjee to Sabko Banana Aata hein".( everybody knows how to cook Bhindi Subjee, or stir fried Lady's Finger) I know that, I answered. But there are many who don't. I didn't know how to cook an egg Bhurjee( Scrambled Eggs) when I first started out as a bachelor living in a rented apartment far away from home. I had started this blog, and remain till today, a Bachelor's cooking blog.

Simple recipes.
With simple base or gravy.
Easy recipes for someone who wants to try cooking at home.
Anyway, we had ordered Paneer Makhanwala (Cottage cheese cooked in Indian masala and Cream), Daal Fry (Lentil tempered with Masala)
and Roti as well, for dinner. The Aloo-Bhindi subjee scored over the restaurant cooked paneer Makhanwaala, believe me, just Australia beat Japan 3-1, in the Fifa World Cup that was going on as I cut the Bhindi.

What was the secret?
Was it really easy?

Well, It was quite easy. I used lots of Onions, and tomatoes ;-)

The secret:
Half a Kilo Okra or Bhindi or lady's Finger, washed and cut into 1 inch pieces.
3 medium Potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes and then cut again to make it thinner.
4 Tomatoes, chopped.
3 Large Onions chopped. ( If you have noticed, I use Onions sparringly in my other dishes, even Meat and Chicken. Onions tend to make your dish sweet, but this is different:-) )
A little ginger garlic paste, 1 tsp!
3 green chillis sliced in halves.
I will add the masalas as I cook.

Process:

Heat 2 Tbs Oil in a kadhai, and add a tsp of jeera.
Add the onions and three green chillies sliced in half.
Add the ginger garlic paste and saute till onions are brown.
Add the tomatoes, and add 1 tsp of dhania powder, half tsp each Turmeric and Red Chilli.
Add the potatoes and Bhindi, and cover and cook in low heat.
Open the lid and Mix and Stir from time to time.
Cook till potatoes are cooked.

Serve annnnnd Yummy.
May I submit this to Sweetnicks' ARF/5 A Day

7 Comments:

Blogger indianadoc said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6/14/2006 04:30:00 AM  
Blogger teacherarbc said...

Discovered your blog by way of Sweetnicks ARF Tuesday post...Even though you didn't like your photo, I thought this dish looked quite delicious!

6/14/2006 09:09:00 AM  
Blogger Neelu said...

Doesnt covering the bindhi make it more soggy. I love bhindi , but Okra we get in USA is ot as tender as we get in india, Its bigger and I find it too sticky and hence avoid ot make it. I love ur version of aloo bhindi, but I m not so sure about covering it. Would appreciate your comment !

6/16/2006 02:23:00 AM  
Blogger Sumitha said...

Hi Anthony would like to submit my entry for this weeks curry mela,Grilled Pork!

6/16/2006 02:23:00 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

Thank you Julie... But I will learn to take better pictures all the same

@ Neelu: Yeah, I made the dish to be soggy. I prepare the dry version as well, but this was different. Which is why I added the tomatoes and lots of onions as well. This is a different one from the usual dry version.

@ Sumitha: Thank you :-)

6/16/2006 11:47:00 AM  
Blogger Nila said...

Hi Anthony,
I agree with your point 100 percent. I don't know about this recipe until you have posted. To add further, I have never tasted or heard about this potato-okra combination. No matter how simple the recipe is keep posting it. It will definitely impress one or the other. Will try it soon.

Egg paniyaram is my entry to your next curry mela.
http://nilasworld.blogspot.com/2006/06/egg-paniyaram.html

-Nila

6/16/2006 11:36:00 PM  
Blogger Sudha said...

Hi Anthony, the picture looks good.Thats a simple and easy recipe..Have bookmarked..

Here is my entry for this weeks curry mela.

http://mysamayal.blogspot.com/2006/06/paneer-butter-masala_14.html

hope im not late..

6/17/2006 12:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home