Monday, June 26, 2006

Bachelor Quickie Egg Curry

egg curry

After a long time, a pure play bachelor recipe.
One of the first curries I learnt, and loved.
Still my favorite, and the easiest.

Not quite bland, not quite strong..
Light on the stomach too.

When I was a kid, I used to like Boiled Potatoes mashed and then lightly fried in onions, much like Dosa Masala, but with only onions.

When I started living away from home and learnt to feed myself, that was one of the first dishes I prepared.
I never got bored of it.

One fine day, I thought I would add eggs to it, just for the sake of it, and the taste left me surprised and wanting for more. Perhaps I cooked the same dish for the next few weeks when one fine day, tired of cooking another gravy accompaniment, I decided to add water, and Bingo! Here was the simplest and one of the yummier Bachelor Dish.

Then I learnt more complex dishes like Mutton Korma, Pork Vindaloo, Sarson da Saag and palak paneer, and I completely forgot my old time favorite. Till a few days back I longed for that old dish, I used to savor, spoonful by spoonful.

This is no secret.
It is only so simple nobody thought of trying it, perhaps.

For the Bachelor Egg Curry, you need:

4 eggs
3 large potatoes
2 Tomatoes
1 onion
1 Tbs Ginger-Garlic ( I later added this to the original recipe of onions only to add to the flavor)
2 green Chilli Sliced
1 red Kashmiri Chili ( for Style lol, optional)
1 bayleaf
1 tsp jeera ( Cumin)
1/2 tsp each jeera (Cumin) and dhania (coriander seed) powder.
Some red chilli powder and turmeric.
Salt to taste

Peel and boil or boil and peel potatoes.
I usually peel add potatoes to rice.
Shortcut you see, it is suppose to be a bachelor Recipe, no?
And potato boiled in rice taste better it seems.

If you had added in rice, wash off the rice..(the potato, that is)
Otherwise remove from boiling pan, peel if it was not peeled.
Roughly mash and keep aside.

Heat water in a separate pan..
Heat oil, 2Tbs . More if you don’t care much about oil ;-)
Add bayleaves, Red Chili, Jeera (not the powder), green chilli, onions and the ginger garlic.
Saute till onion is limp and add a lil turmeric ( little less than half tsp) and red chilli powder.
Add the Tomatoes.
Add the mashed potatoes and mix well.
Lower heat and keep mixing or scrapping the bottom with the skillet.
Boiled potatoes have tendency to stick.
Break the eggs into the mixture and keep mixing till eggs coagulates properly.
The mixture should not be wet and sticky.

Add 1 and half cups of boiling water.
Add salt, You may add some dhania jeera powder mix now. (This is optional)
Shimmer for 5 minutes.
Garnish with Dhania.

Serve Hot with rice.

PS: I have been very busy past few weeks, and thus the infrequent post. I haven’t been cooking kuch, and if I did it has mostly been chicken and mutton but then I had written about chicken and mutton many times, and I cook it only the way I always do. Habits you see.

I will be more regular I promise you all!

Technorati tag:: : :

11 Comments:

Blogger Priya said...

Hi Anthony,
I am a regular to ur blog, but never commented, ur curry mela's have been my blog shortcuts for quite a while now :-). I just started a blog recerntly and have added a link to urs in it. Drop by when u can :-)

6/27/2006 03:30:00 AM  
Blogger The Bhandari's said...

cool, sounds interesting and bit easy too, will definitly try out :)
~preeti

6/27/2006 01:35:00 PM  
Blogger Sumitha said...

My mom too used to make egg curry with grated and grinding coconut.Your dish reminded me of that.Besides Anthony I wanted to know if you have the recipe for Momo,I had been to Sikkim once and had eaten it there,can u get the recipe please

6/27/2006 06:41:00 PM  
Blogger Vaishali said...

Hi Tony,
I have put up a quiz about fellow food-bloggers. ;-) If you want to solve it, here’s the link.

http://happyburp.blogspot.com/2006/09/do-you-know-your-blog-buddies.html

6/27/2006 10:27:00 PM  
Blogger The Bhandari's said...

Hi Anthony you have been tagged for a
Confessions in group of 5 meme

Visit my kitchen for details pls :)
~preeti

6/28/2006 12:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very Innovative,Tony

6/28/2006 06:41:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

nice work tony, for a change make some breakfast for my weekend breakfast blogging event! Details on my page..
cheers
n

6/29/2006 09:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Priya:Thank you so much.. and U have a lovely blog...

@Preeti: Please do, and hey thanks a lot

@ Sumitha: I will cook momo for you very soon...

@ Preeti: thnks for the TAG.. wil reply soon..just been a lil busy.. i will reply all the tags

@ Annita: Thank you pal...

@ Nandita: Ah, I will do just that...

6/29/2006 11:07:00 PM  
Blogger Kitchenmate said...

Tony: I have tagged you for this meme"10 things i miss of my mom's cooking". Hope you enjoy doing this meme.
cheers!

6/30/2006 12:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ KM: Will reply all the meme...lol

7/02/2006 06:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too want the momo recipe:)

7/07/2006 05:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home