Saturday, May 20, 2006

Curry Mela 18th

My dear regular readers, and not so regular ones.
Welcome to the 18th Curry Mela.

And a special welcome to the hundred odd repeat visitors who visit the blog repeatedly even on the same day. Muahhhhh!! to all of you... Ok,OK... I take it back if you didn't like it... :-D

Anyway, we are on the 18th episode of the Curry Mela... MAY THE CURRY MELA LIVE LONG!!! I am as excited as when I first started it... To tell you the truth, I used to be more popular before I started the Curry Mela, for my original easy recipes, and had more visitors some days than I have today. I used to have more commenters too...
After I started the curry mela, some people have even dropped my blog from their Blog rolls. I don't know why!!!
One reason could be that, earlier I used to spend my friday night, after work and saturdays and sundays cooking delicious dishes, to post over the week. Nowadays, I spend most of my fridays and saturdays bloghopping and compiling the curry mela. I don't even have the time to comment... date line for the event you see. But I am not complaning.. I love it...
But I am glad that many people like my Curry Mela and continue to support it.
And I am really glad I have been able to do this every weekend except when i had to go home for my Aunt's last rites. And I hope I can continue this for a long time.

Welcome You all again to the Curry Mela...... Here follows this weekend's spread... Enjoy!!!




Thalassery ayila curry, Ayila or Mackerel or Bangda cooked in a typical Thalassery(North Malabar) syle of making Ayila curry or any other fish curry.

...................................................................................................................



Banana chips galore, or was it bangalore.... Those fresh, off the frying monstor pan....

...................................................................................................................


Some cool green tomato recipe, visit for more greens :-)

...................................................................................................................


Dondakaaya Masala, or tindora... We have more tindora recipes this weekend...

...................................................................................................................




Dondakaya vepudu / tindora(stir fried Indian Gherkin), another tindora dish. Dried version of the above... Different though...

...................................................................................................................



Capsicum kairas , Till recently, I always found to hard to think of ways to cook capsicum. I have learnt at several recipes of late, from food bloggers, who else..

...................................................................................................................



Lentil Adai or pancakes, to be had with Coconut chutney, or butter or jaggery.. Yummy..

...................................................................................................................


Onion Adai, and the sam dish made with onions. Don't try Jaggery here, lol.

...................................................................................................................



Curried Tempeh, "Tempeh made by fermentation of soybeans is versatile meat substitute.It has a complete protein food that contains all the fibres of soyabeans and all the amino acids.Proteins and isoflavenes have many health promoting effects for men and women alike.Benefits like cancer risks and heart diseases and menopausal related problem.It is an excellent alternative for hormone replacement therapy . " writes the blogger.

Let me add something there, a similar thing is very popular in the north east, and it is a delicacy. We call it "hawaizaar" perhaps, derived from hawai for soya beans and zaar from Achaar or pickle. We prepare this with Gobi to make great gobi curry, and the more popular one is called Chagem pomba, where we cook the hawaizaar or tempeh with a little rice, peas, some smoked fish, some sarsong ke patte ( Mustard leaves) and a herb.. The pungent coriander like thing, but the leaves are like needles.... I don't know the name, in Manipur we call it Pakhon. In Shillong they prepare pork with this Tempeh, tastes heavenly. The dish is called, turumbai if I remember right.
...................................................................................................................


Chipotle Chicken, this is one chicken dish that will be tried by Anthony before the weekend ends lol...
...................................................................................................................


Fish Curry Meen Kozhambu, oh! how I love fish.
...................................................................................................................


Singapore Chili Crab, and crabs.. I can eat so much crabs till I develop cramps, literally... Cooking crabs takes a special skill, eating also takes a special skill....
...................................................................................................................


Avial is a very popular south Indian dish, very tasty and light to the stomach. Quite healthy too, but not too long ago, i used to ask my friends what Avial was when I first saw it on the menu in our canteen, then I found bloggers writing about it and found it so easy to cook and yet so healthy.....
...................................................................................................................


Surakkai Sambar (Bottle gourd sambar) , some body asked me to post Sambar... luckily there was this amazing blogger posting a nice variant of Sambhar....

...................................................................................................................


Oven fried Onion rings, didn't I mention that the onion rings at Ruby Tuesday are amazing, and beats their pork chop??? You can cook your won now, after you see this recipe..
...................................................................................................................


Kashmiri Ragan Josh, another must try.. Anyway I have so many Mutton dishes over the past few weeks and i have all in my picture folder.. haven't been able top post them, and I didn't want to post too many non-veg recipes at a stretch ;-), since many of my readers are vegeterains... But this Ragan Josh sure is next in line...
...................................................................................................................


Smoky Burgers, some amazing recipes from across the world...
...................................................................................................................


Grilled Salmon with Avocado and Mango Salsa, this recipe so very bowled me over, I don't know what to comment ;-) amazing stuff eh!
...................................................................................................................



Onion Relish, Those kinds that comes on Pork chops and sizzlers... And rare times when someone have used bayleaves on the same...

Thank you all...

I hope you all love the Curry Mela....

Not quite a Blog mela, not quite an event.... Blogging is all about it isn't it? No rules...

11 Comments:

Blogger RP said...

Oh Anthony! I love curry mela. I missed past two curry melas. I was debating on what to submit, and even before I came to a decision, the deadline was over! Thank you so much for coming and taking my recipe this time. I really appreciate it. And wow! what a wonderful display of yummy food.

5/20/2006 06:41:00 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Great job as usual Tony. And I say this even though I have been missing from the mela for a looooong time :-)
Btw - looks like you are raking in the moolah!

5/20/2006 10:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anthony, that Rogan Josh is very easy to make. It is very different from the regular North Indian Rogan Josh. I loved the flavors of dry ginger powder, cardamom and fennel seeds. The recipe is from someone who has lived in the Kashmir region. Thanks for including it in your mela!

And a request: could you change your RSS feeds so that they include the entire post instead of just the first few lines?

5/21/2006 12:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you serious? I thought the curry mela would pull in more visitors. But hey blogging is about doing what you like, not necessary about increasing traffic, right? I think you do an awesome job and I always go through all the curry melas. Thanks for doing that.

5/21/2006 06:54:00 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

RP: For you all, and for your kind word... WHich keep this going.. thanks

@` Ashwini: My pleasure pal.. my pleasure.. and yeah, I got lucky ;-)

@ manisha: Yeah, I saw that the gravy was lighter than the north Indian variety... but Kashmiri dishes have a certain flavour...

Actually I deliberately kept the RSS that way so that people will vist the site too lol... Should I turn it to full mode???

5/21/2006 08:09:00 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ Gini: I am glad about that.... And i am sure many people likes it, but as i said, most of the time i used to spend cooking stuff specially for posting here, is beng spent on compiling.. and it does a take a long time... lol..

But yeah, certainly some visitors have been lost boohooo.... Or maybe people got jealous eh!! lol just kidding there..

But yes I used to have much more Unique traffic earlier, believe me.. But then it is not all about traffic... but how many loyal fans for curry mela and my recipes right?? And good friends along the way

5/21/2006 08:14:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anthony, what is it you are after? Readership or traffic to your blog?

With blogs, you want readership unless you are selling unique stuff on your blog that you are seeking conversions for. The convenience that RSS readers offer shows that you understand the technology and you value the preferences of your readers. You are not just about "traffic". I will soon sound like a broken record but your revenue from your blog will come from outside your blog. Think about it. Turn on the full mode!

5/21/2006 12:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had actually turned it on after reading ur earlier comment.. Nobody actually commented so it was another experment after getting advice from a blog expert.... Thanks for your valuable advice....lol

5/21/2006 04:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! You rock!! Thank you for the full mode. And see, I came here to comment regardless of the full mode. ;-)

You don't lose readers when you turn on full mode - you gain them! The other advantage is that your site could be down but if your feed has been grabbed by the reader, your readers still get to see your content. Thanks again!!

5/21/2006 10:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks tony for including my dish in your curry mela :).

5/22/2006 06:19:00 PM  
Blogger indianadoc said...

Thanks a lot for including mine too..you have brought in a lot of visitors for me!!...your selection of dishes has been too good...

5/24/2006 05:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home