Let's blog herbs today!
Let's blog about some herbs from Manipur.
Let's blog for Kalyn's Weekend Herb Blogging, as I promised her that I have many more Manipuri herbs.
We call it, or the Manipuris Call it Maroi Nakuppi, the Scientific name is Allium Adorosum. Few week back I blogged about maroi Napakpi or Allium Hookeri. This is a cousin of the same, and The English name of the same is garlic Chives, and you will find it in Chinese markets and Most super markets.
The flavor it adds to any Masala based dish is awesome, and It can't be explained here. You have to taste it to know it. We use this in place of onions when cooking Fish and other Subzee, and the flavor is what makes my heart ache for home.
I once had pork, boiled with this chive, lots of chives, and ginger, and It was one of the best pork preparations I ever had.
Pulao can also be flavored with this, just fry the chives in Ghee and mix with the pulao. Daal tadka can be utterly different and delicious with the chives.
We also prepare the chives as a subjee, the way we prepare dry Palak preparations. I have a recipe, where I have used palak instead of the chives, here. Cook the same dish with chives and come back to tell me how it tasted. You will be surprised, that you have lived for so long without the pleasure of having tried that. In manipur, the dish is Maroi Thongba, and My mother cooks the best Maroi thongba ;-).
Maroi Thongba, The recipe:
- One Kilo of chives, properly washed and chopped into 1 inch lengths.
- 1 inch finger if ginger.
- 3-4 Cloves of garlic.
- Cumin Seeds
- Coriander Powder.
- Green Chilli Sliced
- Heat a Pan, and pour 2 TBS peanut oil or vegetable oil.
- Fry the peanuts lightly and remove.
- Add the Cumin seeds( 1 tsp) and let sputter.
- Add the ginger garlic, properly crushed, sliced green chilli(2-3)and add a small handful of the chives.
- Saute till garlic is golden brownish, add 1 tsp of the coriander powder
- Add half a tsp of turmeric and red chilli powder,
- Add the chives and mix well.
- Water will come out, saute till it is dry.
- When water have evaporated, add 1 and a half cup of Hot water.
- Add the peanuts, and let Shimmer till gravy is consistent.
Relish the Dish.......
We also add Kaali Daal ( Black Gram) Vadi, the kinds that you get in Kolkata, new market and Beck Bagan market ;-) in the same preparation. First fry the vadi lightly, when you are frying the Peanuts, keep aside. Add it when you add the peanuts.
Curry Mela is going on Below...