Thursday, March 30, 2006

Simple Fish Curry

A very happy Cheiraoba ( Manipuri New Year) and
Happy Gudi Padva ( Maharastrian New Year) and
Ugadi - Telugu New Year to you all !!!

( I didn't know about the telegu New year until I saw it on a new Food Blogger's, so I take this opportunity to introduce MyRasoi)


We don't eat Fish, back home, on this day, but I do ;-) so why be a hypocrite? Here is an amazingly easy fish recipe for you. We do clean our houses on this day, and my house is sparkling clean today.



You may use any frsh water fish like Catla( katla?), Rohu, Mrigal, Golden carp, Grass Carp, to make this fish curry.
In the simplest form, which is as staple as daal to a Bengali, this is cooked with Shahi Jeera, and Dhania Jeera powder with chillis.
I added a little Ginger- garlic paste and of course my favorite peas. Tomatoes is optional.

Ingredients:
5-6 Fish Steaks (3/4 th of an inch thick.)
Half a cup of green peas
Methi, Shahi Jeera, Heeng, Bayleaves, Green chilis, Dhania-Jeera Powder


Cook:
In 1 Tbs oil, add two bayleaves, a tsp of shahi jeera ( Black Cumin, the smaller darker variety) and let sputter.
Add a pinch if heeng ( Asafoetida) and a tsp of soaked meethi ( fenugreek).
Add 2 green chillis sliced in halves.
Add 1 tsp ginger garlic paste( only ginger will also do)
Add the peas,
and add turmeric and chilli powder to your taste.
(half tsp each I suggest).
Add tomatoes ( optional)
Add hot water, and let boil.
Add salt to taste, and the fried fish.
Shimer for 3-4 minutes and garnish with coriander before serving with hot rice...

12 Comments:

Blogger Shilpa said...

Hi, It is a Kannada new year too :).
Happy Yugadi.

Your fish curry looks very delicious. I will try this. Thanks for sharing.

3/30/2006 07:35:00 PM  
Blogger Tanuja said...

HAPPY UGADI:)

Anthony u do really a great jobs, I got so many different varieties in cooking fish from ur site thank u.

3/30/2006 09:27:00 PM  
Blogger K said...

This looks incredibly delicious. I want to try it.

3/30/2006 10:35:00 PM  
Blogger lost in thoughts said...

Happy Cheiraoba / Gudi Padava/ Ugadi etc.... to you !!

3/30/2006 11:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Cheiraoba, Anthony!

3/31/2006 12:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony,

I just visited your blog after seeing your comment on mine. I love it! I can see I will be visiting often!!!

3/31/2006 10:43:00 AM  
Blogger Shalini said...

Happy Cheiroba to you!

3/31/2006 02:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/31/2006 06:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/31/2006 06:40:00 PM  
Blogger Kitchenmate said...

Happy Cheiraoba Tony:
Simple curries are always the best... it looks very delicious.

3/31/2006 08:20:00 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ Shilpa: Glad you like it.. Try cooking without the peas and tomatoes and not even the ginger garlic. Has a diff taste, quite simple and tasty.

@ tanuja: Oh Great.. i am glad you liked it.. I will cook more for u.. ;-) In fact I cooked mackeral today.

@ K: hey K, long time... It sure was good lol..

@ Spicehut: Thnks a lot... :-)

@Melissa: thats so nice... *Hugs* to u :-)

@ Indira: Thanks you Indira...

@ ivonne: thanks for dropping by dear.

@ Shalini: Thank you so much.
@ Karthi: Thnks and yeah I love simple food ;-) I have the simplest of taste lol

4/01/2006 12:35:00 PM  
Blogger Pawan said...

Tony

Can we use sea fish like salmon/ tuna etc instead of the rohu/hilsa... I live in London and am not sure if Ive seen freah water fish in any of the shops here...

btw u doing a great job out here. YOur simple home cooked chicken is now a staple in my house.

4/02/2006 11:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home