Friday, February 17, 2006

Weekend herb blogging


My entry to kalyn's weekend herb blogging. I couldn't post earlier as the herbs weren't properly growing, Oh these are home grown lol. I had it sent from home which is 1000s of miles away.


I have been planning to enter Kalyn’s Weekend herb blogging but I wanted to make the debut with a Manipuri herb. For the very purpose and also I promised Thalassa Mikra that I will order saplings from Manipur and grow it at my place so that I can post a picture, I was waiting till the herbs had grown beautifully. Now that it has, I am blogging it today.

This called Maroi Napakpi in Manipuri. Maroi is a common term we use for all spicy herbs, and even spring onions are marois, so it might not be surprising when I say that Maroi Napakpi belongs to the Onion Family ( Botanically) I don’t know it is called in English, and I am sure the Chinese use this herb, and it would be great if someone can tell me the English name of the same. The botanical name however is Allium Hookeri ( Allium is the Onion familie).

We use this herb for tempering, use it in lieu of onion when we cook fish, and we use it in out Stews or boiled vegetable with smoked fish dishes. This, however taste very different from onion, very different. Fish curry taste great with this herb, and the roots of this herb are another delight. The roots are used basically for tempering and while cooking Fish. Fish can be cooked only with this herb and the roots with meethi and jeera and the taste is awesome.

We also make pakoda with this, and it is a delight, believe me.
And Omelet with maroi napakpi is just awesome.
And then we also make a Steamed pakoda ( Kothimbir vadi of Maharastra) with this in lieu of coriander. In fact our version of kothimbir vadi is prepared with this herd only, and kothimbir or Coriander is more freely available in Manipur. So imagine how different and nice this herb must taste.

If you happen to see this herb in a Supermarket or in china Town, prepare Pakoda or omelet and tell me how it is.
You will be thoroughly surprised, and Numb…This is one great herb….

5 Comments:

Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

What a great post for WHB. We've never had this herb before. I don't know if you noticed, but I'm not doing the recap until Monday because it's a holiday weekend in the U.S. Thanks for participating.

2/18/2006 09:14:00 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

It is for the next WHB... Actually i had posted it before realising it...lol..thanks anyway

2/18/2006 10:28:00 AM  
Blogger Sury said...

How interesting! Just wondering if the herb can be used in dry form? I could order some from you then (for a price of course :P). Or, if I learn the common English name for it, I can look for it in the exotic vegetable market here.

2/19/2006 12:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Sristi Sinha said...

IS THIS HERB'S ALTERNATE NAME IS YENNUM?

2/04/2011 08:08:00 PM  
Anonymous rubina said...

good blog anthony...its nice to know a bachelor who loves cooking in the fun way!

@sristi: yes its alternately called yennum or yennum napakpi

@sury: i think u can try looking for different types of chives, u might just stumble upon this one. good luck!

9/09/2011 09:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home