Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Rajma Masala


And with that Kashmiri lal Mirch, can I call it Kashmiri Rajma Masala?
I 'd rather, it is known as Bachelor's Rajma.

My last roomie loved it.
So did I.
Look at the gravy...
That, is Potato based, by the way.
And onions and Tomatoes.

A very filling Rajma preparation.
I also cook Rajma with moong daal. I also took the picture; must be in one of the folders.
Will post it too.

I didn't want to add too much oil, so I added most of the masala when I boiled the Rajma and did a light tadka.
( Tadka is tempering, where you fry masalas in oil and pour into it the boiled Mixture)

And yeah, This is another simple to cook dish.
Hardly takes 20 minutes. ( If the Rajma was soaked 5 hours prior, and don't count it)

Two cups soaked Rajma ( Kidney beans)
Two large tomatoes chopped roughly
One large onion Chopped fine
One potato cut into 4 chunks
1 TBS ginger garlic paste ( Preferably home ground, rough)
1 bayleaf, 1-2 red kashmiri chili
Jeera Dhania powder, red chilli powder, turmeric.

Put the Rajma, potatoes, tomatoes , 1/3rd tsp turmeric, half tsp red turmeric.
and half the onions and put to boil till Rajma is Soft.
Try to press with the back of a spoon. The rajma should give in.
2 whistles in a pressure cooker? Let cool.

Heat oil in a pan. ( 1 TBS should do)
Add the bayleaf and red chilli and fry for 10 seconds constantly stirring ( what do you call it) with spoon.
Add onions and fry till golden brown, add ginger garlic paste and saute for 15 seconds
Half tsp each of dhania and jeera powder and saute for another 10 seconds or so.
Add the boiled mixture.

Let shimmer, lightly crush the potatoes with the back of Spoon.
Add salt to taste, and sprinkle a little black pepper powder.
Optional: You may now half a tsp of garam masala which I didn't use.

Serve with hot rice..

12 Comments:

Blogger Cyndi said...

Anthony, I continue to enjoy learning about Indian food--and because of that I've tagged you for a Food Blogger’s Meme Around the World!

4/05/2006 08:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once a week with Rice...n pickle n onions....

4/05/2006 08:39:00 AM  
Blogger Chefspiration said...

yummy! it looks sooo good!

4/05/2006 09:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and with Curd and a spicy pappad !!

4/05/2006 11:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the meme Cyndi, I will return it soon and fast...

Cool Mehak... I also love it...

It is alexandra... Do try it..

Mehak, i will try more versions..

4/05/2006 11:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Tony, could i link your blog into mine??? very yummy....

4/05/2006 04:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pleasure is mine. lol

4/05/2006 04:10:00 PM  
Blogger Vineela said...

Hi Anthony,
I like rajma with chapathi and rice.
looks Yummy.
Vineela

4/05/2006 08:10:00 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

Vineela: I am a rice eater lol

4/05/2006 10:12:00 PM  
Blogger Lakshmi said...

even i like to have rajma with chapati's. looks good.

4/06/2006 02:05:00 AM  
Blogger RP said...

Rajma masala looks awsome. A new recipe to me.

Don;t know where to submit an entry for curry mela. Please take this if it is eligible. http://myworksh0p.blogspot.com/2006/04/dahi-vada.html

4/06/2006 03:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The recipe can be better.. My wife cooks it in a different way and it tastes better than this one.. Trust me ............... R J

1/19/2007 09:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home