Monday, September 11, 2006

Five things to eat before you die!

I have been tagged.... After a long time, and quite some time back too.
Hmm....been a lil busy, so Couldn't answer..

This is the Five Things to eat Before You Die Meme, started at the Traveler's Lunch Box.
Cyndi first tagged me about a week back. I thought I will post, and then somehow couldn't..
And today morning, I saw me tagged again by Rosie..

I shall post a reply today evening.... Bear with me till then..
Update:
The lists should be of "things you've eaten and think that everyone should eat at least once before they die." as suggested by Traveller's Lunchbox.
I have had Lot's of such. My lists will be more from the North East India Cuisine. I will keep updating this list as and when I eat next time around with a Photograph in hand :-).. for now, I don't have the picture of these authentic recipes. Mostly Non-vegetarian...
The List:
1. Turumbai:
Turumbai is a Traditional Cuisine of the Tribes of Meghalaya in the North east India. I am not sure which Tribes of Meghalaya claims ownership to this awesome dish, but I will give credit to all the Tribes of Meghalaya. Turumbai is Prepared with Fermented Soya and Pork. I am sure fermented soya beans are a delicacy in most Sout-east Asian countries. Fermented Soya is called Akhuni in Nagaland, and Hawaizaar in Manipur. More on Fermented Soya.
This dish is prepared by boiling pork with herbs, like Chives and Dill and a handfull of rice with fermented Soya. Very smelly, and you need to acquire the taste to like it, but once acquired, you will be addicted.

2. Chagem Pomba:
This is the Manipuri version of the above. Of course, this is very different, right from the way the soya beans are fermented. And it is Vegetarian, if you consider fish to be vegetarian food as we do :-).
This is cooked with Hawaizaar and aromatic Manipuri rice, green peas, smoked anchovies, shrimps, stink beans(Parkia), Lai/Sarsong leaves (Mustard Leaves) and flavored with Dill.

3. Pork and Bamboo Shoot:
This is a Naga Delicacy. Fresh Bamboo Shoot cooked with Pork and hot Chilli. You can carry on and on, on how it is prepared..It can be cooked in different ways. You may Cook it in a very simple way. Very easy, very yummy. Wash and Heat pork in a deep bottom pan, till water dires and oil start comming out. Add crushed ginger and garlic, and red chilli flakes. Saute in own oil for 10-15 minutes. Add a handfull of bamboo shoot, and saute for 5 more minutes. Add salt to taste.. Add water, and bring to a boil, till gravy thickens.
You could have added some spring onions as well in the end.

4. Venison Meat:
Venison Meat just crumbles like a cookie, albiet soft, in your mouth.. Hunting deer is illegal, and I won't suggest or encourage it, but if you happen to come across any venision meat being sold, try it. You won't regret it. Complain to the ranger later. But not before you get your stock for a month. Best meat one could ever have. I had it when one of our Truck Drivers who ply the Hill Route, came back with a Full Leg from one of the Hill Villages.

5. Ootti:
This is a Vegetarian, Manipuri Delicacy. Dried White Peas cooked with baking powder. I had blogged about it, and the post is here. Do try it once, or again and again. It is quite easy, and You can cook it at your home, today. All you need is a handfull of peas(even frozen green ones would do, tastes different then the dried ones, but taste amazing, nonetheless)

Cheers....

I wish to tag the following fellow foodies:

Lu2cook at Cooking Medley.
Mandira at Ahaar.
Meeta. From Germany!
Paz. From the cooking adventures!!
Melissa from Panama.

11 Comments:

Blogger Rosie said...

Sorry to tag you twice - I just am dying to hear what you have to say!!

9/12/2006 06:09:00 AM  
Blogger Luv2cook said...

That is a difficult one! :)..

Thanks for tagging me....

9/12/2006 07:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony - thanks. My first meme... this is exciting.

9/12/2006 09:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tony! I need to taste everything on your list, since I've never tried any of them before. Thanks for the tag! You can find my list here.

9/13/2006 12:51:00 AM  
Blogger princessyogi said...

Anthony, I am so glad to have found your blog. I am married to a manipuri and have heard a lot about "Chagem Pomba" and "ootti". I am going to try out some of the yummy manipuri recipes you have posted.

Thanks!

9/13/2006 01:54:00 AM  
Blogger asrita said...

hi..your writing enrich my knowledge about India's cooking. tx

ita.kinipulu- member of NCC

9/13/2006 06:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rosie: It is fine Rosie.. thanks for tagging me again to wake me out of my slumber

melissa: Would be fun to read ur meme.. *Hugs from india *

Luv2cook: Think pal think.. would be fun...

Mandira: is it? i am so glad that i tag you first,,,....

9/13/2006 07:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Paz: lovely meme.. Sofrry i didn't read it earlier.. it was burried a few posts down... :-)
@Princessyogi: hey thanks... and I am glad that you want to try them out.. mins you.. these are acquired taste and it takes some time to adjust...but after a few try's you will be addicted i tell you... Ask ur better half to cook..
@Asrita:t is my pleasure asrita

9/13/2006 07:06:00 AM  
Blogger Rosie said...

One of my goals in life is to eat my way across India - now I have some specific things I need to ask for.

I have an odd question - what type of deer are you eating? I have had white tail deer here in the US and it is very strong in taste.

9/17/2006 04:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi , this is about the Pork and Bamboo Shoot - you say

"Wash and Heat pork in a deep bottom pan, till water dries and oil start coming out"

do you mean put water in the pan, or oil, or just start cooking pork in an empty pan.
please clarify I am dying to try this one and am worried will f**k it up

thanks
Rohit

10/20/2007 02:02:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I correct the spelling of
(Turumbai) The correct spelling of this (type of pickle or accompaniment to Khasi food, is Khtung-rymbai and the shortened spelling is Tungrymbai. This is a delicious accompaniment to Khasi rice with meat with vegetables. The tungrymbai is usually just the fermented beans but ocassionally small bits of pork with the fat is added. The colour when ready is a very dark green (almost black).

I used to live in Shillong

4/04/2008 03:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home